Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the difference between EWS and DOM mild steel?

I saw these two different options listed for roll cage material. Is one lighter than the other, is welding different between them?

Favorite Answer

DOM is DRAWN OVER MANDREL so there is no seam line inside of the tubing. I think EWS is just standard mild steel tubing the only advantage of the DOM is the more exact Inner diameter

I am not sure what EWS is, but you may be thinking of ERW, or more commonly known as mild steel This type of tubing has seam that is a welded. DOM or drawn over mandrel is just that, steel drawn over a mandrel to form the tube.

DOM is stronger, and more expensive.