Golden Retriever Puppy?

I've wanted a Golden Retriever for as long as I can remember.

As a result I've read a lot about them, and know pretty much all you can know about Goldens without ever having owned one.

The problem is, why can't I find a Golden Retriever that's inexpensive?

It seems that the price for a family dog has skyrocketed in the past 10 years or so. And to make things more difficult, people are now SELLING mixed breed dogs, calling them "designer breeds", and making a huge profit off of them. Some are being sold for $1,000+. ANY mix of breeds is now being given a snazzy name like "Beago" (Beagle/Golden) "Goldadors" (Golden/Lab), and the list goes on.

So I can't even get a Golden Retriever mix inexpensively because people have found that they can now SELL their mixed breeds for profit.

I'm looking for a companion dog, not a breeding dog, and not a show dog.

I am also looking for a puppy under 4 months. Not an adult dog.

What people don't realize is that there are people out there that love dogs, can afford to take care of a dog, but can't afford to pay outrageous prices for one!

Where can I find an inexpensive Golden Retriever anymore?

I'm at a loss.

The reason I was looking for a puppy is because it hurts to get attached to an older dog, only to have it pass within a few years.

We adopted a Rottweiler/Lab mix from a shelter, and we only had him for 3 1/2 years before he passed. It was heart breaking.

I would of course prefer a puppy. However, I wouldn't mind adopting a young dog, but I don't think I could take adopting an older one again.

Favorite Answer

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

http://www.grreat.org/

Goldens are a dime a dozen in shelters.

Ignore the backyard breeding idiots, ignore fools charging too much for mutts.

Being as you just want a companion shelters are a great option for you. Just try not to ignore the older dogs- Pups are great, but a more mature dog can be a wonder as well (and boy is it nice to skip the house breaking sometimes)

• Pat C

To a degree, going with a good breeder can be worth the money. Particularly in terms of genetically linked issues like hip dysplasia (good luck finding OFA or Penn Hip certs on shelter / rescue dogs) which can save a lot of hassle, money and heartache in the long run.

However! I strongly advocate going with a rescue organization, because there're plenty of young abandoned dogs out there looking for a home. Just google "golden retriever rescue" and your city name and see what comes up. Or, call a local vet and ask if they work with any rescue groups or shelters. They'll often have a line on things like that or even post a note to call you if any animal suiting your interest is dumped there.

Source(s): I'm a vet, though both of my goldens came from breeders. (my cat is a shelter girl, though...)

Good choice, goldens are the best! Have you checked petfinder.com? Your local shelter? Just keep checking, someday one will come up, just be patient. My city has a golden retriever rescue and they get the most beautiful goldens and mixes, pups too. Try googling "golden retriever rescue" in your state or nearby. If you rescue you will be saving a life and making yours a whole lot better, plus you save money too. :) good luck!

Source(s): owned by a beautiful golden

How about Golden Retriever rescue? There are tons of Goldens out there that need homes.

http://www.petfinder.com

They even have puppies sometimes, too. But I don't get the whole "it has to be a puppy!" thing - dogs don't come with expiration dates, and young adults need homes, too...

• mccroy

because of the fact she is dominating you and you permit her do it. I certainly have a sixteen week previous male and humping is truthfully no longer allowed in my domicile. He knows it! He tried it 2 instances and he hasn't tried it returned. no longer with me or the different 2 Golden's I certainly have here eihter. Push her off of you and tell her no in an extremely stern voice. save doing it until she the two gets drained or stops.

Look to adopt, its cheaper and you're helping a dog in need.

It drives me nuts that people sell "pure bred" golden doodles, and other crosses. That completely contradicts the term "pure-bred".

visit..petfinder.com

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

n u can even post a mesg there//// writing about ur requirement...n u may be a proud owner of a golden retreiver very soon..all the best..........

i got my registered female golden out of my local paper...i put a ad in it looking for a female registered one and had 3 calls the next day...i went and looked at all 3 litters and decided to buy out of the first litter i looked at...she is 11 weeks old now and picks on all my dogs...i bought another female not registered from a petstore near me gave $750 for her...she's healthy and plays with my registered one..she's 3 months old...

Source(s): pom breeder