Comic Book/ Graphic Novel Suggestions...?

i really want to get into reading comic books/graphic novels but i dont know where to start. im interested in the basics, superman, batman, x-men, spiderman etc. i really know nothing at this point, and im looking for so graphic novels that could introduce me the genre and to the history of the characters. stuff i can read without knowing the history. also id prefer getting graphic novel recommendations, because i can get them from the library but i dont know any stores nearby where i can purchase comic books. so id love any starter suggestions, thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Let me recommend three

Maus (it's a two book set) This is to show that you need not have a total prowess of drawing to convey a powerful story

From Hell. This is to show how research can really help in the telling of a story

Watchmen. How backstory can help in the telling of the main story

• Login to reply the answers
  • Josh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Some of my favorites:

1. The Ballad of Halo Jones - There are 3 books in this series which revolve around a 50th century every woman named halo jones. The 3 books chronicle more than 10 years of her life. Book 1 takes place in the course of 1 day in the life of 18 year old halo jones and her violent and semi comical misadventures on a shopping trip. Books 2 involves halo as a stewardess on a year long voyage in space. Book 3 (set 10 years later) has halo becoming a soldier in an interstellar guerilla war.

2. The Sandman - Focuses on Dream of the Endless (the other endless being: Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium) who is the lord of the dream realm. One of the best graphic novels I've ever read.

3. V for Vendetta - If you saw the movie, don't think that the comic and the movie are the same thing, they are totally different. The comics much better.

4. Hellblazer - The main character John Constantine is a streetwise magician. This is a difficult comic to just sum up in a few sentences but there are demons, heaven, hell, magic and John Constantine involved, you don't want to skip over this one. This is a continuing series which started in the late 80's so there's lot's of stuff to keep you entertained.

5. Ghost World - A more realistic series than the above mentioned, it features two friends, Enid and Rebecca, wandering more or less aimlessly through their small town criticizing pop culture and basically everything else. You see how their friendship is being stressed and how they eventually grow apart, this is an amazing comic. Even if you don't think this is your kind of thing pick it up anyway and give it a try, you won't regret it.

Also check out: Doktor Sleepless, Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, and anything written by Alan Moore (he wrote The Ballad of Halo Jones and V for Vendetta listed above)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you looking for ONLY the basics like those u listed, or would u be open to other stuff like anime/manga? Because, I know a lot of good anime/manga comics that are great, but if that's not what ur looking for, then sorry.

If u r... here r some good ones: Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club, and Shugo Chara...

But, if ur looking for the basics like superman, batman,etc... u'll have to ask someone else

• 1 decade ago

you would like manga, manga is like graphic novels but its not dc comic though its butter i think

kissxsis

its about Keita has two step-sisters who love him in a lustful way and have no problems expressing it; they even are in competition about that.Much to his chagrin, as well as the amusement of his friends, he endures it.However, when one day they come to his school to give him his lunch, he gets annoyed and explodes on them.They then confess their feelings for him in front of everyone and leave.Feeling sorry for them, he chases after them and says that he'll study hard in order to get in the same high school as them.

Bitter Virgin

its about Suwa Daisuke is the ladies man of his small town high school, and he has his eye on most every girl, except for one. Aikawa Hinako isn't his type, but when he overhears a deep dark secret of hers, he finds himself thinking of her more and more.

if u like that go to mangahut.com or mangafox.com i like mangahut butter

Source(s): me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

UM

try gakuen alice

It's one of my favorite mangas

u could also read it on onemanga.com for free(It's SUPER DUPER safe there so no way u get a virus)

also read fly high on onemanga

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

look at other marvel and d.c. comics or watchmen, hellboy, and other comics movies were based on

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.