Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Could I really have Type 1 Diabetes?

About 3 weeks ago, I went to my primary doctor because I had what I believed to be a sinus infection, my heart beat was also pretty fast, as well as my respiratory rate. When I got there, they did my vitals, and said my heart beat was 150. They checked my lungs and said I sounded a little stuffy, and that I needed to have x-rays done. Before I went downstairs, my doctor decided to take my blood sugar, which at the time, was 112 (keep in mind I was sick, which raises blood sugar levels at times.) I went downstairs, where I found that I couldn't manage to breathe anymore. I went back up stairs, where they rushed me to the emergency room.

By the time I got settled in and the nurses checked my blood sugar again, it was 409. At 1:30pm, I was 112, not a diabetic; at 4pm, I was 409, and a diabetic. I hadn't eaten or drank anything between 1pm and 4pm and I had been walking from the x-ray room back to my primary's office. I asked the nurses/doctors why that was, and they had absolutely no answer/reason for how it happened. They simply told me that I was a Type 1 Diabetic (the first time I was ever diagnosed) and left the room.

They transported me to another hospital, where I met with an endocrinologist who believed I had diabetes for months as of then. The thing was, I had absolutely no symptoms once so ever, no extreme thirst, or constant need to go to the bathroom. I had felt fine up to that point - other than my runny nose and headache - and had no idea I was a diabetic in the least bit.

I'm home now, and have been injecting myself with insulin ever since. So far, my blood sugars have remained in the low 80's to the mid 60's. I have yet to go over 300, and I have barely even touched the 200's. They have reduced my insulin intake twice already, and have started me on vitamin D as well as Zinc, mainly because when they did blood work, it showed that my immune system was very low. Unfortunately, none of the specialists hold any hope of me ever growing out of this disease, or simply curing it. They tell me it will be a constant part of the rest of my life, and that I will have to manage it.

Against what they have said, there has to be a way. From what I know, my case is pretty special. Most people have either had symptoms, or have the disease running in the family, neither of which I have. I am only 15 years old, I am a juvenile, and at one point I was around 15 pounds overweight. I dropped that weight conditioning for winter track, - healthy diet, rigorous exercise - over about a 2 month period. Before that day 3 weeks ago, I was healthy, happy, and enjoying life. Now, I can hardly stand behind the three of those things. Against what many people say, diabetes does shape your life, even if you don't let it. You are forced to stick to a strict regimen, count your food constantly, prick your fingers without mercy, and inject yourself. This is not the life I want to live, in fact, no diabetic wants to live this way.

So, now that you have a summary of my situation, is there the possibility that I don't have diabetes Type 1? Could it be something else? If so, what? Are there any known remedies that can jumpstart the pancreas or maybe help it along? (I am currently in the honeymoon phase.) Also, can your pituitary gland have anything to do with shutting your pancreas down, or perhaps restricting its growth compared to the rest of your body? What about hormones in general?

Thank you so much for reading my question! =)

And for you other diabetics, don’t give up hope!

Also, my period has been out of whack as well. First, it started coming late, then it came whenever it pleased, now I haven't gotten it at all. This has to be hormones right?

When I first got it 3 years back, it came on a regular schedule (like the 5th of every month.) That lasted up until about 4 months ago. Could this have anything to do with it?

• Z
    Favorite Answer

A reading of 400 is definitely diabetic. The onset combined with your age distinctly point to type 1 diabetes. The reason why you might need less insulin now that you're stabilized is that you're still honeymooning- which means your body is still producing a tiny amount of insulin. That production will die off however within a few weeks to a few months.

You can ask your endocrinologist if you qualify to join the studies of investigational drugs trying to extend the honeymooning period in t1s. However, those will only extend the amount of time you produce SOME insulin- not forever, and they wont ever make you produce enough insulin to not need injections, merely lengthen the amount of time your remaining beta cells take to die.

There's nothing else you can do but face the fact that you are a t1 diabetic and that you are going to live with this forever. You don't need to follow a restricted diet, but you do need to count carbs, inject, and test.

Eventually, this is going to become a part of your life and you wont use such overly dramatic words like 'mercilessly' having to test your bg. What would be merciless is if you were diagnosed before bg meters and insulins existed: you'd have weeks or months to live and then you'd die. Good thing we have those merciless treatments, eh?

Talk to your endo about seeing a CDE to learn more about your diabetes, as well as options that can make living with diabetes easier, like using an injection port or an insulin pump, and a CGMS.

This is your reality now. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. You are not a 'special' case, you are not the exception. Coming to terms with that and learning how to take care of yourself is the part that matters. Grasping at straws will get you nowhere.

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?Buiz

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?JfcJ

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

• Roxie

For Type 1, it does not matter your weight, age how much you eat or exercise, it does not have anything to do with family history, it is an auto immune disease. The doctors may have got it before you developed severe symptoms...Since you are newly diagnosed, you sugars may be running "normal" but that is probably temporary. When I was first diagnosed and not totally insulin dependent they call ut the "honeymoon stage" Read this article and it will explain it. I was in the honeymoon stage for months before I had to start taking more insulin. It becomes a part of your life and you accept it.At first it seems hard but it does get easier. Also, research has been done and some viral infections may trigger type 1. diabeteshttp://www.joslin.org/info/will_diabetes_go_away.h...

Alexis,

Thankyou for posting an extremely interesting case.

As you know, the typical course of a young person with Type I (autoimmune) diabetes usually occurs a bit more slowly, with the person experiencing a fairly rapid (over days or weeks) experience in which they note the following symptoms:

1. Polydipsia - frequent thirst and ingestion of large amount of

fluid.

2. Polyuria - frequent and large amounts of urination

3. Polyphagia - extreme hunger

However, there are young people who were healthy so far as they knew, got a virus, (particularly Coxsackie B virus, or even Epstein-Barr virus) and who decompensate and show a high blood sugar within hours. Endocrinologists would say that these people had a genetic predisposition to failure of their glucose regulatory system, and that the virus activated a rapid autoimmune response in which your own system began to systematically destroy the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in your pancreas. The result of this was a high blood sugar. When you received treatment in the form of hydration, etc., you still had sufficient remaining beta cell function to compensate once again.

Let me explain something important. Although there are poorly regulated diabetics who lose kidney function, toes, vision etc., those who have been recently trained and rapidly diagnosed and who are competently trained to manage their own diabetes through glucose monitoring and multiple injections, or through insulin pump use, live very normal lives. The highly functioning diabetic young people now number in the millions. Most have a period of time of adjustment, and may or may not have a honeymoon period, but settle into the nuances of being diabetic within a few months. I do not mean to minimize a significant chronic medical issue, but you CAN do this, and you can do this better than you believe.

An insulin pump can provide incredible flexibility also.

It is my opinion that you do have early Type I diabetes for a couple of reasons. 1. Your blood sugar should never ever be 400, even once, and if it is, the chances are good that we are recognizing a beta cell failure syndrome. 2. The amount of insulin that you are receiving, even post reduction, would send a non-diabetic into serious hypoglycemia.

What is most likely is that the insulin is allowing your remaining beta cells to continue to function and equilibriate, thus extending your honeymoon.

Could it be something else ? Yes, it is possible that your thyroid does not function optimally and that you also will require pill replacement of thyroid hormone. This would interfere with your glucose regulation, but would not give you a blood sugar of 400. Other endocrine disorders such as Cushing's and Addison's might also interfere with blood glucose regulation, but you would still require management of blood sugar. Pituitary tumors can adversely affect blood sugar regulation, but the far more common cause, would be Type I diabetes.

Lastly, there are many reasons to be positive. Keep your body in tip top shape, and soon beta cell transplantation may well become more successful and may result in a cure for Type I diabetes.

There are no quick fixes or supplements that will maximize beta cell function once they begin to fail, other than taking exceptional care of yourself in every other respect.

I am very impressed with the analytical and brave way in which you are processing this challenge. You will do extremely well.

Very best wishes.

Source(s):

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article…

Textbook of Endocrinology

Source(s): Source(s): www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article… Textbook of Endocrinology

3