Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

How many disposable bottle liners should I buy in advance?

I'm trying to buy in advance and I'm using Playtex Drop-Ins bottles. I bought 50 4 oz bottle liners so far. How many do newborns use in a day?

• Best Answer

I would stick with that until you see if your baby likes those bottles. My daughter loves them and will only drink from the playtex ones. I stopped buying the Playtex liners though and I get the Parents Choice from Walmart. They are cheaper (100 liners cost me $6...100 Playtex cost me $10) and I find they collapse better. My daughter is 4 weeks old tomorrow and I have used about 150 liners so far. (I was breastfeeding and formula feeding in the beginning and tried a few different bottles too or else I probably would have used closer to 200 by now)

I use Avent bottles for my daughter and I love them. They have special nipples that allow air to enter while your baby is drinking so you don't constantly have to stop feeding and allow the air back into the bottle. It is also proven to reduce colic because they are less likely to ingest air. Playtex drop ins are also know for there reduction in the development of colic. However, your baby will go through a bottle about every 3 hours for the first 3 to 4 months of life then they will slow down around 5 months and eat more per feeding, less times per day. You are looking at about 5 to 9 bottles a day from birth to about 8 months, when they will eat more solid food and not depend so much on liquid diet. You are looking at a year of buying the disposable liners. I haven't experienced any leaking from Avent bottle. However when shaking the pressure may build up when mixing formula and come out of the air valve in the nipple, other than that no leaking for me. Also, the only maintenance you need for Avent bottles is buying new nipple sizes with different speeds as your abby grows, but that comes with any bottles.

Newborns feed every 2-3 hours, but can feed more frequently.

But, you may want to hold off on buying more until you find out if your baby agrees with your decision to use drop-ins. You might want to use them, but you may find out that your baby has other plans and would benefit from a different type of bottle. It wouldn't be too much fun to have tons of liners that you can't use.

Buy 2 of the 100 packs You can get them really cheap if you get the target brand, the difference with the platex is the it expands but for a newborn you dont need to worry about that, but yes I would think 2/3 boxes a month, as she gets older it will lessen. My son is a year and a half and he still uses them just 3 times a day.

Roughly about 16 bottles in a 24 hour period. That's saying your baby will eat every 2 hours but some newborns eat more frequently and some can go longer(3 hours).

If you are not breastfeeding at all, I would suggest you buy at least a 100 box since he will go through about 10 a day if not more. Look for the double boxes wrapped with a free bottle. I got some like this at BRU.

• My son is 4mths old and we have the 100 pack which lasts us atleast 2 1/2 weeks.

He drinks 6oz every 3-4hrs during the day.