Is my 10 year relationship healthy?

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 10 years since i was 17. Throughout the relationship it has been pretty bumpy.. He is really overprotective of me and will get an attitude when i mention going out with friends of mine. It's not that he will tell me not to go but he will either stop talking to me and... show more I've been with my boyfriend for almost 10 years since i was 17. Throughout the relationship it has been pretty bumpy.. He is really overprotective of me and will get an attitude when i mention going out with friends of mine. It's not that he will tell me not to go but he will either stop talking to me and just act really upset so to avoid an argument i've always gave in to him and not go anywhere. Besides for quick visits I havn't really hung out with my girlfriends in 8 years.
I pretty much stayed in and just hung out with him throughout the first two years of our relationship, I never gave him a reason to think i was unfaithful but he still always accused me of cheating. Finally after two years I actually did cheat on him- he found out and he forgave me- through the remainder of the relationship i'm sure you can imagine how much more overprotective he is of me. I' still do not go out w/ friends, coworkers etc... He is very difficult to speak to when i try to explain that i am still young and owuld like to experience life more as far as going out more with him or with my friends. I feel like i'm missing out on alot.
I do know that he loves me very very much and hasn't been unfaithful to me. But recently when I mentioned going out w/ friends of mine his attitude came right back making a pretty heated argument and him eventually spitting in my face. I do know this is an unhealthy relationship, but is it time to break up or do you think things will be able to change and get better?