Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Advice on buying a AR-15?

I want a good gun, for target and some hunting...but basiclly i like to shot and want to buy a ar platform gun. I know a piston upper is cleaner and more reliable but is that reliability worth the extra money when im just shooting for fun? and id like opinions on which AR type guns u recommend im looking at Robarms XCR now and a few others. Also i would really like to get a 6.8 caliber...

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you're looking at the 6.8 mm, I really like the XCR as well! I have a 5.56mm Varmint 24" from Rock River arms and love it! Try having a look at the Rock River options for the 6.8 as well!

I think the 6.8 ammo though is really too pricey...are you sure you really want to go that route? If you want larger than the 5.56mm, Id go with the AK Ammo version, 7.62x39. At 3 dollars a box for good quality Russian ammo you can blast away all day long.

buy AR-15 from any of the major manufacturers and you should be fine like Colt ,Bushmaster ,Armalite, S&W you get the idea, XRC its a pretty nice rifle but its a novelty rifle wait until the ACR Bushmaster become available if you want a gas piston rifle ,also SCAR its good too but the overinflated price tag its not worth it.

about 6.8 i would only recommend it if you some type of hunting or do your own reload otherwise 5.56 its fine ,and 6.8 ammo price tag still too expensive too.. so not recommend if you want to afford to shoot it.

AR 15 are pretty reliable as long you have a basic knowledge what you are doing and know all the fundamentals

Source(s): Got AR 15 and AK Saiga 5.56

Stick with tried and true 5.56 NATO for target shooting. True, AR platforms are chambered for other calibers, but the ammo is expensive. Choices are obvious, like Colt. Some other manufacturers are DPMS, Stag Arms, Rock River. Bushmaster isn't a bad choice, but I believe some of its internals aren't fully compatible with all AR lowers.

I dont be conscious of precisely what you have in suggestions on your gun... a patrol rifle for all i be conscious of... A LEO grade AR or M4 may well be had for $1200.00... of direction a severe operator with a funds could pop for a Wilson or Baer. if your a "rock pit" shooter who likes to allow off steam 30 rounds at a time... a $seven-hundred Bushmaster might paintings sturdy sufficient for you (or it may using on your interior of reach deputies trunk for that value additionally) Rock River A2 rifles with the "national tournament" areas are going for under $1500 on the internet auctions attractions. I certainly have a eyeball on a COLT LEO basically marked M4 in a close-by save for $1200... NIB it is your funds.

Buy the AR as an 'upper' and 'lower' parts kits.

I worked with a guy that did that, saved about $3-400 and he put it togather in part of a day, BTW he was a super dumb-***.......

• Joe

Come to Northern Ireland. AR-15's and 16's are cheaper than an x-box.

I would definitely recommend the AR-15 DPMS! I love shooting them! They are quite fun :)

Wouldn't this destroy the pray and make it uneatable?

you want to have as little as damage to the dear or what ever I would think

what on earth are you planning on hunting with that? elephants? ****** in the ghetto? obama? is your safari in compton?

Source(s): city of compton