Toadhead asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why is the government telling women to for go potential life saving medical screenings?

Not a governmental body but a supported of Obamacare the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_r... says do not worry about pap smears till after 21 and forget about them after 65, if you have had normal results in the past. And the cuts to Medicare are not going to effect the level of server to the elderly, right!

Then there is United States Preventive Services Task Force future name Death Panel? Telling women do not worry about those pesky Mammograms http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/opinion/20fri1.h...

For every 1900 women screened during their 40s they only saved one life. Just wait for Obamacare when groups like United States Preventive Services Task Force control the treatment you can receive, the term Death Panel will fit very nicely it would appear. Now that is Change you can believe in. It sure gives me a lot of HOPE for the future under Obamacare.

So, Why is the government telling women to for go potential life saving medical screenings?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

They don't want you to go get this so they don't have to pay for it. Its all about the money. The government has to cut a massive amount of money from the medical budget then all of a sudden these groups come out telling the government what they want to hear. Funny how that works. Not very sneaky either i guess they thing america is to stupid to figure out that this is just a way for the government to save money. They just don't want to pay for women to get breast exams and pap smears for as long as they can.

Hopefully women will go to doctors who aren't stupid i realize that preventive medicine like these things are important and should be done as early as possible. There are millions of women who have died before age 50 from breast cancer. And there are millions of women who have been save because they got a mammogram before age 50 as well. I think i would want my wife and all the women i care about get one as soon as possible just because of that.

Yes these are recomendations but when the government embraces them that affects people who get there healthcare from the government which is millions of people in the medicare/medicaid system and if this new thing passes will be government option healthcare as well. So yeah its a recomendations that dosnt hurt you if your paying your own way but if you want it covered by government insurance good luck.

Source(s): Stuff Also self exams dont really help. Comming from several long term obgyn doctors who tell me that by the time you can feel a lump in your breast the cancer is usualy very bad and your not in a good place.
  • 1 decade ago

Heart disease is the number one killer in America. Why don't we focus our efforts where they will make the most difference?

For all the noise people have been making about the two recent "recommendations" - I still see fatties lined up for their s Krispy Kremes and Big Macs. Being overweight contributes to getting cancer. Why aren't they worried about that?

And - a recommendation is just that - a recommendation. You should talk to your doctor about your own situation and follow the doctor's advice.

You are aware over 70% of cancer is caused by HPV, right? And if you don't have HPV - your risk of cervical cancer is very small. So, if you don't have HPV - why get a yearly screening? Women should be tested for HPV, and have a yearly screening if they have HPV, otherwise is you don't have HPV you don't need a pap every year.

And nothing in those recommendations says you are prohibited from going to your doctor and getting what ever testing is deemed appropriate.

• 1 decade ago

They aren't saying you CAN'T get the procedure done... They are just saying the justification doesn't warrant the cost AND risk. Remember there are risks incurred with the screening procedures themselves... and if they lead to further tests... like a biopsy... those tests incur their own risks. It still becomes the decision made between the doctor and the patient. These recommendations are just a practice standard... not a mandate.

• 1 decade ago

I don't understand your question. As you point out these are not government agencies.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, for instance, has issued its recommendations re cervical cancer. Their guidelines are based on studies that have been conducted. Whatever connection you are trying to make does not hold up even under the most cursory scrutiny because it does not exist.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Every x-ray means more radiation, and more chance of cancer.

The value of mammograms before 50 has never been proven, and often leads to uneccessary scares and biopsies. Manual examination by the woman herself works just as well. Then if she finds something she can always get a consulation and get one if necessary.

Source(s): As usual this is just a bunch of Right wing scare tactics to try to keep funneling money into the pockets of Wall Street companies who make these machines.
  • It's one word, forgo, meaning, "to abstain or refrain from; do without." When it's misspelled, it looks like you're just using bad grammar and your question is confusing.

Anyway, Yes, you're right. This is just the beginning.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah I really wonder about the USPSTF sometimes. They say some interesting stuff.

But if it is indeed true, then maybe it's not just a cost concern.

I'm debating whether it's true.

• 1 decade ago

To cut costs; why else? You can't get quality health care just because you see a Dr.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Isn't it just CONVENIENT that all these "research results" are just coming out now?

How many women will die thanks to Obamacare?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.