Inquirer asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

ex-feminists, what made you turn away from feminism?

and what do you feel when you recall the days when you were a feminist and used to say the same things feminists say to you; things that you find repulsive now?

Favorite Answer

It is probably that they found they had common sense and such.

Other than actually knowing a bunch of feminists that I ended up thinking were ignorant, it was the school newspaper in university. In my first year two stories dominated from September through the whole year.

One was a case of a woman taking her shirt off in public, walked around with her boobs out and got a ticket. The groundswell of support was huge and it lasted forever. Like years. They were organizing rallies in the park where they's ALL take their tops off, and they'd all be chanting and singing and holding up signs about the patriarchy and flashing their boobs. They just would not shut the F up.

The other was about this male student who opened a door for a female student and she refused to walk in. So he called her a B and walked in the building. Well she went irate and it became a big story and all year people would write in and either condemn the man for his actions/comments or try to defend him. But nobody ever said anything about the B, I mean the woman, in the story. It was like she was off limits, and the only behaviour that needed to be addressed was the man's.

Then they put out their "International Womyn's Day Rag" edition which featured stories such as "Why all women should be lesbian until the age 25", "Imagine a world without men", and significant reminders that "all men are potential rapists".

That was enough for me. At least it turned the tide for me. In high school I was a feminist. And when I think back about it I am embarrassed and upset. I feel like I was stupid and immature as a feminist, but also that it was forced on me at an early age (grade 2) and I resent that. The whole thing pisses me off now.

• Lauren

I veered away from feminism after having been through the family court system twice and have seen the bias and then have feminists tell me that men are incapable of being parents are incapable of even basic love. Feminist have taken my children from and more importantly has taken me from them. My first wife was a feminist and in court told a judge that I beat her every Friday whether she needed it or not. No proof was given of this but even worse was when my lawyer demanded proof her lawyer and the judge[a woman] chewed him out because they said that wasn't needed since as a combat veteran my propensity for violence was already proven. Also I have walked into store and banks and heard women seemingly having contests on who was more of a victim. Or I go somewhere and the woman who is supposed to be employed to help me is walking around calling men pigs and dogs.

The words "feminist" and "feminism" have been so badly butchered and misinterpreted to suit individual's liking of the definitions. A feminist is not a female-supremacist although there may be select groups that preach such, a true feminist is a woman that fights for women's rights when it comes to EQUALITY not special privileges for females to be bestowed. Just like when you look at radicals when it comes to religions, they do not represent the whole scope of that religion.

They got smart, and realized that some man hating feminist won't ever find her a man to take care of her.

What made me finally decide that feminism had completely lost the plot was hearing one of our female MPs (Harriet harmon, I shouldn't wonder) talking about what a shame it was that schoolgirls aspired to be teachers and nurses and hairdressers, while boys aspired to be football players and pop singers. Her obvious contempt for worthy occupations which have traditionally been attractive to women, in favour of frivolous occupations that only a very few could ever possibly achieve however much they wanted to, absolutely enraged me. My opinion is that modern feminism is completely loopy, and not something I want to be associated with at all.

Three reasons:

1) When ever I realized that there were two forms of feminism, the positive kind for equality, and the negative kind for demonizing men. And the fact that feminism doesn't take responsibility for the negative aspect of feminism made me not take feminism seriously.

2) When I realized that there are so many different versions of feminism now days because of the individual way everyone wants to interrept it, that the true purpose and meaning has been watered down to ambiguity.

3) When I realized that Egaltitarianism is a solid, very clear idea with nothing but positive qualities that feminism should have but isn't.

Source(s): Burn me with Thumbs Downs until my skin rots.

I never saw it in quite the same, I'd only read the dictionary definition and not seen it in action - I couldn't judge it by it's actions back than.

Since then, I've read the endless 'studies' blaming men & absolving women, how their discussions only talk about bad men and good women, how they promote rights for women while bashing on men in general...

Bravo Louise C, you are the SMARTEST woman in GWS!

Just hearing the name "feminism" made me automatically assume it was some female supremacist movement. Coming onto this section confirmed by beliefs.

I am afraid any serious answer I may want to attempt is scuppered by your screen name which irks me on several levels

Sorry