AP CHEM, AP PSYCH , AP US HISTORY HELP!!?

I have some pretty lame teachers who do not teach when they are suppose to . I am aiming big and hoping for a 5 on any and every one of the aps. so any good tips or resources anyone can share would be amazing. I need it really bad. we took some practice tests and I flunked them.><

thanks guys for all your help. but more specifically I am looking for websites or reallyreally good books.

• Dennis
    Favorite Answer

AP Chem: Read the textbook or get a review book (Princeton Review is most likely the best). Then, start practicing problems. AP Chem is not a memorization-based class (except for like three units). In addition, while your teachers don't teach you in-class, consider reading the textbook and then asking them questions on problems / topics you don't understand. If your teacher pretty much does notyhing during class, then consider reading the textbook/review book during class. Also, be sure to identify issues when they come up in AP Chem. When you have a problem but don't resolve it, problems build up and before you know it,you're lost in AP Chem.

AP Psych: Read read read (the textbook or review book- Barrons is the best) and take notes.

APUSH: Same as AP Psych. Take good notes, always take notes when you read (believe me, it's worth it). In addition, practice writing AP essays. So basically, read and take notes, and practice writing essays. APUSH is not a class that requires that much strategy. Just study and pay attention to details and be able to write. That's it. Be sure to ask your help if you need any.

Some examples of AP Essay prompts are here:

apcentral.collegeboard.com

Good luck with those "terrible" teachers. I've had horrible AP teachers b4 and I know what you mean.

AP Chem: My grades are dropping in there, but I still have an A... back when I had over a 100 average, I did all the worksheets my teacher gave us, asked a lot of questions, etc. I also have a copy of a Princeton Review book that has a lot of good practice questions.

AP US History: I raised my grade from a 90 to a 98 in there over the course of two months... in those two months, I basically learned how to take tests by thinking like College Board (my teacher's test questions all come from previous AP exams) and how to write essays. For multiple choice practice, Princeton Review is a good source of practice. It also does a good job of summing up everything. www.apnotes.net is very helpful in giving chapter summaries, and there are numerous websites out there that offer chapter quizzes. I suggest you take advantage of them.

For the DBQ's and FRQ's... these make up a huge portion of your AP exam grade, so don't underestimate their importance. I got a 5 on my first FRQ (a 75% on my teacher's grading scale). For that essay, I had facts, but that's it... From my teacher's comment, I realized that I also needed to analyze (i.e. if the prompt is asking you to give examples of people who benefited from westward expansion, saying, "Women in the Gold Rush areas out West were allowed to vote before anyone else." is not enough... you should add after it something like, "This further evidenced that the west was a chance for new freedom." or something simple like that). I learned to analyze, and I got an 8/9 and a 9/9 on my next two FRQ's.

Also, remember, for AP exams, "flunking" the multiple choice section is NOT the same as flunking a normal test. I remember taking an AP Bio previously administered exam last year... I got about 83% right, and I was very disappointed in myself. But my teacher immediately told me how great I actually did... the top scorers in the world (the high, high, HIGH 5's,though no clear distinction is ever made) only got about 85%... when you look at it that way, an 80% is amazing. =)

AP chem: gosh, torture, just practice, practice makes perfect, especially in science and math.

AP psych: lots of memorizing, terms, parts of the brain, different disorders, just open up your text book, make a a list of vocab. work to study.

AP US History: again, read every chapter of your text book as your teacher teaches it.

make a "review sheet" about eachh topic in the chapter, than you have notes to study.