promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why can Hulk Hogan use his name anywhere?

What I mean is, Hulk Hogan's real name is Terry Bollea, but he calls himself Hulk Hogan everywhere, including WWE, WCW and TNA. What I don't understand is how is he allowed to do that? When Kevin Nash and Scott Hall "invaded" WCW as the NWO all those year ago, they weren't allowed to be called Diesel and Razor Ramon, and in fact, WWF sued WCW for trademark infringement anyways.

So why didn't they do the same with Hogan? Why arne't they suing TNA now?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He began using "The Hulk" ring-name long before he went to the WWF (and the AWA), specifically, Terry "The Hulk" Boulder. He appeared on a TV talk show, along with Lou Ferrigno (star of "The Incredible Hulk" TV show). The host made a comment that Hogan was actually larger than Ferrigno, so Hogan started using "The Hulk" as his ring-name.

Vince McMahon SENIOR gave him the last name "Hogan" when he wrestled for the elder McMahon in the very late 70's. Of course, with his physical size and enormous muscles, along with his charisma and mic skills, "Hulk Hogan" got over with the fans, so he continued using that ring-name for the next few years in Japan and the AWA.

Vince JUNIOR, as part of his plan to take control of the wrestling business in North America, began copyrighting and trademarking WWF gimmick names (you can't copyright or trademark actual birth-names) in the 1980's. This gives Vince the rights to those names and the rights to allow who uses them, and where. It also gives Vince more control over a WWF/E wrestler who gets popular; Vince can rightfully say "I own you" to any performer who's gimmick name he has trademarked; the performer can leave the WWF/E but the gimmick he's worked so hard to build stays with the WWF/E, and the performer would have to pretty much start over with a new gimmick in another promotion. This is why it behooves every wrestler with a successful gimmick coming into the WWE to trademark that gimmick name before Vince pressures them into giving HIM the rights to the name.

"Hulk Hogan" was an established main event superstar throughout the world of wrestling (including Japan) before he signed with Vince Jr. It is irrelevant that Vince SENIOR gave him the name "Hogan", Vince Sr did not trademark the name (he probably never even thought about trying to screw over wrestlers that way. Vince Sr was able to sign big-name wrestlers because he was a fair and honest {for a wrestling promoter} man, he paid what he said he would pay, and he paid well).

Terry Bollea can be called a lot of things, but "stupid" isn't one of them. Vince Jr was providing the race car (the WWF) but it was Bollea as "Hulk Hogan" doing the driving and winning races. Bollea saw himself becoming the biggest star in the history of pro wrestling and a multimedia darling. Vince wanted to trademark "Hulk Hogan" and control all the rights to Bollea's appearances as "Hulk Hogan" and to the use of the name. Bollea was having none of that. So, wisely, he trademarked the name "Hulk Hogan" (and it's derivatives such as "The Hulkster" and "Hollywood Hulk Hogan") himself. Bollea owns all rights to the name, likenesses, and uses of them. Vince owns nothing but "Hulk Hogan's" appearances in the WWF/E.

I'm sure it's causing Vince many headaches seeing "his" creation getting all that attention in his rival promotion, but all Vince can do is push the Hulk Hogan DVD and try to emphasize that the DVD contains the "real" Hulk Hogan, and not that "old man" trying to relive his youth in TNA.

Legally, there is absolutely nothing Vince can do to prevent Terry Bollea from using the "Hulk Hogan" name. He doesn't own it, Bollea does.

Vince DOES own the names "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon" and he controls who can use those names and where. The same goes for "The Dudley Boys", which Bubba and D-Von failed to trademark themselves before Vince beat them to it. This is why they can no longer use that ring-name.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • forker
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Hulk Hogans Real Name

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hulk Hogan has the rights to his name & can use it in any way he wants. He's been using that name in the ring for over 30 years & he's used it from his days in AWA, WWE, WCW, New Japan Wrestling, & now currently signed to TNA Wrestling. He's allowed to use it because he has the legal rights to do so. For Scott Hall & Kevin Nash, they couldn't use the names Diesal & Razor Ramon in WCW because the WWE (which was the WWF at the time) has the rights to those characters so they couldn't carry over the characters when they jump ship from Vince McMahon's promotion to a promotion once owned by Ted Turner. The WWE cannot sue TNA for copyright infringement of Hulk Hogan's name because Hogan owns the copyrights of his name.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I will explain it to you. Ive been watching wrestling since the early 80s. Ive been a huge WWE fan for years. Yet over the past several years the show has slowly went downhill. Gone from bad to worse. Vince McMahon is no longer producing a show that the real wrestling fans want to see, hes producing a show that will sell the most toys, t-shirts and dolls to 10 year old boys. Its about time that another company steps up to the plate to challenge WWE. Hopefully in doing so it will make the WWE change the format of their show and bring back the Attitude Era. Im tired of seeing wimpy little actors and singers being brought into the WWE as a guest host each week and beating up wrestlers such as Chavo Guerrero. WWE needs to end that guest host nonsense now. Unless the person has a direct connection with pro-wrestling, they have no business being on the show. I had never watched TNA before, so i gave it a shot last night. Im not gonna say it was perfect but it definitely was a breath of fresh air. I will be watching it every monday from now on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can use a name in wrestling anywhere if it is either

1) your real name,

2) you've used it in the indy's before the major leagues, or

3) you've been given all rights by the owner of your name in a contract agreement.

Bret Hart got permission from McMahon when he asked McMahon if he could grant him all rights to the Hitman name.

I think it possibly was granted by McMahon to Terry in his contract.

Source(s): My 20 years of wrestling knowledge. Booya!
  • Because he owns the legal copyright's to them. As a wrestler becomes higher in fame and revenue there are certain things they gain the right to have. Sting has the copyright to his name, Mick Foley owns the right to Cactus Jack. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall didn't own the legal rights to those names WWE did at the time, So they couldn't use them Same goes for Team 3-D. Its really Vince's way of taking control. If you notice today alot of Wrestlers don't use there real names. Some really just sign the dotted-line for money. Others are intelligent enough to actually market and trademark their names so that they don't have to worry about Legal issues with it in the future.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You gotta give Terry credit for one thing. Vince supposedly recently wanted to buy all the rights to the Hulk Hogan gimmick, including the name and everything that goes along with it. Terry didn't let him, smartly, and thats also in part why he chose to go to TNA, because Vince wanted to kill the Hogan character off. I haven't always agreed with Hogan's backstage shenanigans, but that was a smart business move on his part, sticking it to McMahon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because he used the name before he was even in WWF. He was using the name since his AWA days. And the name was created by Hogan himself, not by a wrestling promoter.

Vince McMahon did not create the Hogan name, because it originated when he wrestled for Verne Gagne

Source(s): PS: my son was a mistake. Me and his mom wish we wore a condom
  • 1 decade ago

A couple of years ago he gained the rights to "Hulk Hogan", so he basically can use it to any promotion he decides to go to.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I am sorry I don't know about this

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.