Raven asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

How can you ask a doctor for a marijuana prescription?

So here's the deal: I have a really good friend who's 23 and has a serious problem with insomnia. He's tried all sorts of sleeping pills and such, over the counter and prescibed, but nothing actually works for him unless he takes too much of it, which has some nasty side effects. Right now, even if he hasn't slept for days, he can only fall asleep by drinking a large quantity of strong alcohol, and that is never good. Thing is, when he was in college he found out that smoking marijuana knocks him straight out like a light almost immediately. So we want to know; how the hell do you ask a doctor for a prescription for medical marijuana without sounding like a total pothead wanting to score?

Best Answer

I honestly can't believe how many retarded answers this question received. You people should try doing some research before posting. Idiots. Insomnia is absolutely an indicating diagnosis for cannabis and much safer to take than over the counter or prescription sleep aids.

Primary care physicians can and should recommend cannabis to their patients but, for some reason, do not usually do so. There simply is not enough money to be made from marijuana recommendations for primary physicians, even though any physician with a DEA # can prescribe or recommend a medication.

If you have tried cannabis and found it useful for you, check out the website below. Type in some information and you will get a call back to set up an appointment to see a doctor who understands your dilemma. You don't have to worry about being looked at like a "pothead". I understand your skepticism as an MMJ virgin, but you have nothing to fear. You will be dealt with in a professional manner.

You will have to go to your primary doctor and ask for a copy of your medical records to take with you. They shouldn't ask you why you need them but, all you need to say is that it's personal. By law, they are required to give you the records and most will do so free of charge. Cheers

Source(s): http://www.marijuanamedicine.com/ medicinal marijuana patient

1

Source(s): Get Online Physician Consultation - http://OnlinePhysician.neatprim.com/?Ehqd

2

Source(s): Insomnia Treatment http://renditl.info/StopInsomniaForEver

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

• Ron F

This is a very simple solution tell the doctor prescribing that you suffer from chronic pain the doctor will take care of the rest. At least it is that easy here in colorado there are dispensories popping up all over the place and the doctors are giving video appointments and prescribing right there that day you walk out with what your after and the license to prove it good luck

OK. Multiple problems with your question. First of all, insomnia is NOT a good reason to take marijuana, Your friend needs to get to the bottom of why he has issues sleeping in the first place. Cannabis is not without risk to health.

The problem with using substances to aid sleep is that although they may not be addictive, one can develop a dependency on the drug (any drug) and not be able to sleep without it.

Even if Doctors were given a green light to prescribe cannabis everywhere, this still wouldn't be a correct instance to do it.

Source(s): Registered Nurse

You need to go to a medical marijuana facility, if it's even legal in your state.

Regular doctors (GPs) don't really do that.

Doctors cannot prescribe marijuana for sleep problems. You can ask though...

• Have him go to a dr. that will prescribe him a card, in Cali its called MediCan. You can find participating dr.s on the programs website. He then can tell the dr. about his problems and then he can get a card and go to a dispensary.

But the key is that he has to go to a doctor that endorses that kind of thing.

Ok a doctor is going to tell him they cannot prescribe it to him. You have to have cancer really to be prescribed it. If I were him I wouldn't smoke it all the time just once and awhile. Or ask to see a sleep specialists.