Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?

Best Answer

i am an atheist that celebrates Xmas and i can answer your question although i cannot speak for all atheists.

Basically, if you take all of the religious stuff out of christmas, the church, praying, nativity scene, angels on the tree, etc., its still great to give gifts to and spend time with the people you care about.

at least thats why i still celebrate christmas.

• If Christmas is a Holliday that christians discovered then why do other religions celebrate it

• toran

Do Atheist Celebrate Christmas

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?

Source(s): atheists celebrate christmas: https://biturl.im/Mb6Er

My parents raised my as an atheist so I have thought of this a lot. Basically, it's part of their identity. They have celebrated Christmas with their religious families all their lives, and they want to give their children the same joy. The only thing that makes it a religious holiday is going to church. At lest where I live. The decorated tree was not a Christian practice in the begining, but a pagan one, symbolizing hope and life with the evergreen tree. There are two sides to Christmas, a religious and a non religious. If you take out the non religious you could eliminate the tree and the presents and the gathering with family and simply go to midnight mass, and a speacial service maybe. But atheists choose to take out the religious side. Doing things that make you happy are never wrong.

Christmas is not a Christian celebration either way. It has its root in Paganism.

The question should be :Why do christians think Christmas is about Jesus.

``The Christmas tree is a 17th-century German invention, University of Bristol's Hutton told LiveScience, but it clearly derives from the pagan practice of bringing greenery indoors to decorate in midwinter. The modern Santa Claus is a direct descendent of England's Father Christmas, who was not originally a gift-giver. However, Father Christmas and his other European variations are modern incarnations of old pagan ideas about spirits who traveled the sky in midwinter, Hutton said.``

Well Christmas is about love, passion, and caring for others, and giving to those love ones. It would be crazy not to celebrate it. btw, most of the Christmas traditions are actually pagan traditions. The Christmas tree is a pagan tradition, yet the bible states it is sin to worship trees (deut 12:1 -4) and pagan traditions, too (deut 12:29-31). But at the end of the day, we are just all people who need to love and care for each other.

this is a pretty old question but I found it because I wondering this as well. Some atheists answered the question exactly what I had in mind. To basically give gifts and be together for the families. If you think about it many Christians don't celebrate the right way anyways, it's not about materialistic items if it's about Jesus right then to add more of a misconception made up Santa Claus. I think it should be more about spending time with the ones we love and putting Christ/God first which is something we should do everyday. Let the kids enjoy the presents though ;)

• Mauri

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Ewfcr

LOL Amen to that. Mainly because Christmas has gone from being Christ centered to money centered. The actual meaning of the holiday has moved from celebrating the birth of a savior to other foolishness. It is hypocritical for them to celebrate it on these terms because of the origin of the holiday. But, thats just me. If you don;t believe, don't even bother saying "Oh my God" becuz he's not ur God. According to an atheist of course. =) Christ saves.

• We all know Jesus wasn't born that day, and most likely never existed. Who are you kidding? Why did Christians pick that specific day then? Because it was already celebrated. And I will say Oh my God when anything is UNbelievable... Nothing fails like prayer, R'amen

I am an Atheist and I actually celebrate Christmas not as a christian holiday but as a pagan holiday same thing with Easter which were actually pagan holidays before they were christian holidays.

It's a more of a tradition for me and it's really become the social norm. Besides it's not the religion aspect of the holiday I look at it as a day to spend time with family and share and get gifts

Because it's a national holiday and it's awesome. There doesn't need to be any religious component in my Christmas.