Is it considered racist to display a Confederate flag?

Update:

I am just curious as my neighbors who fly this flag, also fly a flag of David along with it. I honestly live in a weird neighborhood.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The war between the states is long over. It has been long over for decades.

There are people who show the flag because they are still fighting even though it was over 100 years ago, and there are people who show the flag because of their peers.

It is highly likely that the persons who display the flag do so because they are suthun and want to be identified with some kind of rebellious thing.

They'll come back and say it's because they are proud and that you cannot understand if you disagree. But it's something they need to do to have some kind of meaning and identity. Just like there are people who don't feel the need to express their identity or meaning.

It's possible that the persons might be racist but it's by no means for sure they are.

Some folk say that people who strenuously deny they are racist probably are racist, and people who continually claim others are racist are too.

There's but one race: the human race. And I am all for it as long as you don't kill my dog.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

One thing people forget is that slavery was legal under the American flag also, way before the confederate flag ever came to be. Also that at the time slavery was legal in America all of America prospered from it. Including the north. You also have to put your self in the shoes of the people that lived back then. If you were a plantation owner with slaves and it was legal and you had the federal governments blessing so to speak and one day they told you you couldn't do it any more you would be pissed to. Also states rights were more prevalent then , so you might would tell the federal government to go to hell and start your own country. One of my ancestors from jones county mississippi and his neighbors didn't want to secede form the union, look up "the free state of jones" and check out the story. As for the confederate flag being racist for some it is but there is one thing you cant do and that's erase history. The civil war was fought by men on both sides who believed in something what ever that might have been. Some good and some bad as we all know but it was the way it was back then. Nothing can change that. Even though the south fought to preserve slavery it was more about states rights. For the north it was more about preserving the union. So I would say that if you display the confederate flag to honor the men who fought and died fighting for the confederacy its fine, not racist. Those men deserve respect even though slavery was wrong and still is. If those men were alive to day would they have the same attitude today. How will our decedent's look at us, ask your self that question?

• 1 decade ago

I assume you're referring to This:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/usa/Images/c...

when you say Confederate Flag.

Although that image was never used as a flag by the confederates, it was used as a component of the flag at different times.

The confederates were states (like mississippi, alabama) that attempted to leave the United states because they didn't want to abolish slavery. Therefore, the flag is a direct symbol in support of slavery.

At the time of the american civil war, there were no white slaves in the united states. So, yes, the confederate flag is a symbol of racism.

Those who try to say otherwise ("oh, it's just a piece of our history") are ignoring the main reason for the Civil War - a desire to keep slaves.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it is not. It shows support for the brave people that stood up to the government over states rights to control economic conditions in each state. There is nothing racist about the Civil War.

Displaying the Confederate Flag is no more racist than displaying the Puerto Rican Flag, Mexican Flag, POW-MIA flag, or the Rainbow Flag.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is Southern Pride, not prejudice.

Wearing an African medallion is racist. You're an American. BE an American.

Wearing a necklace that says "It's A Black Thing; You Wouldn't Understand" is racist.

BET is racist.

Ebony and Jet magazines are racist.

Of course, people like dirty and AFR-CAM are going to weep and moan and say the Confederate Flag is racist. Remember this, you weak-minded feebs; the ships that brought slaves over from Africa were rocking the Stars and Stripes, not the Confederate Flag.

Also, AFR-CAM; you're not white. You can't even dream to BEGIN to speak for white people. All you can testify to is your own bigotry and racism. You have no clue why a white person would rock a Confederate Flag, so don't speak on it, chump. That would be like me saying I knew what it was like to have ashy skin or nappy hair.

Do your research before you pop off at the mouth. None of you know what you're talking about; you're just jumping on the ignorance and ill-informed bandwagon.

The real flag of slavery is the United States Stars and Stripes, because that is the flag of the United States which in its original constitution of 1789 contained provisions for slavery. Northern interests, especially in New York, profited greatly on slave trade with British ships bringing boat loads of slaves from Africa.

You all fail. Read a book.

• 1 decade ago

I'm a white "Yankee", and I say that people have the right to carry and display the Confederate Flag if they want to. It does NOT stand for racism. It stands for the South. I'm so very sick and tired of people having to walk on eggshells not to offend someone. If you're offended by the Flag, that's your problem.

And I'm seeing so much here about racism. Believe it or not, racism is a person's view. People have the absolute RIGHT to have personal views, opinions and feelings on things. How on earth could anyone control someone else's views on things? It's NOT illegal to have a feeling or belief on something. We're in America, and we are free to believe and express whatever we like! Thinking and feeling something on a personal level is not hurting anyone.

Source(s): Exhausted from all this "political correctness".
  • 1 decade ago

Yes it is. In this multi racial country we need to steer away from the things that continue open old wounds. When the US was first getting started there were white slaves brought from England. They were given life sentences for petty thief for example. They called it indentured servitude. Many died on the trip over,starvation, scurvy, too weak to make the trip. And those that made it could run off into the hills, and eventually make a life for themselves. Blacks could not get away with that, they were black. Hardly able to hide in a crowd. So this fact made them a good choice for people with money. Most people did not have slaves,they did their own work. But everybody that was white got the blame. The rich get over again because their money,they could afford armed protection. And the poor must deal with angry blacks. Can you imagine having to watch your loved ones sold away from you. And thats just one example of many wrongs they suffered. Ask yourself, would I be mad. Keep your flag in the closet. To display it is a slap in the face. Do we need that wall between us in a multi racial country? Some people are going to hate anyway. They really hate themselves and want to spread their misery. They could go around slapping themselves in the face but, lets point in the other direction, ah their different let's hate them. Their down lets kick em. Put the flag away.

Source(s): Someone that tried the hate thing.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes and someone I know won a law suite because of it for discrimination. That flag is a racist as they come. I have never seem black people with that flag, and there is a reason because the flag represents racist views!

• 1 decade ago

NO. None of the Confederate flags are or ever were racist.

• 1 decade ago

I dont think it is racist per say; however, if everyone in your household does share the same views as you (for whatever reason your displaying the flag) then you might want to consider their perspective. Also, if you have a good relationship with your neighbors and you want to maintain that relationship then either ask them what they think as well...BUT NOT NECESSARILY RACIST

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.