Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Hindu widows in Nepal?

Hi All,

I was watching a programme on Hindu girls living in Nepal.

Girls there are married very young, around 13 yrs old.

If their husbands die they are deemed as evil and nasty.

They are usually made to live with the dead husbands parents who blame her for the death of their son and many openly admitted that they hate the girl and will beat her. She will be made to do all the chores in the house inc cooking, cleaning etc.

Most widowed girls will not get married again as men consider them to be bad luck if they have already been widowed.

Traditionally the wife of a dead man would throw herself on top of his burning body during his funeral and die along with him. She would be considered a loyal wife.

If she didn't then the same would apply - she would be considered evil, not worthy and her life would be terrible.

It is no longer expected for a child/woman to kill herself at her husbands funeral but it is still preferred.

I was watching the programme with my 10yr old daughter.

She and I could not believe this still goes on in our world.

I feel so sad for these young girls.

Are there any women here who have experienced this first hand.

If you are a Hindu woman how do you feel about this?

If you are a Hindu guy, whats your view?

Update:

subprimelendor: If only I could change all those things, however I asked for opinions on this particular subject.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Having been to Nepal , and stayed in Katmandu I have to say that its like walking into the 18th century.There is a lot of poverty and ignorance which is why these things happen.They need to be educated that things like that should not happen these days.Besides that its superstitious which is against the teachings anyway .

• Login to reply the answers
  • LillyB
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Remember that you were watching a television programme - it is one persons perspective and may not be well informed. Yesd women did used to jump on the funeral pyre but that was outlawed long ago and it is incorrect to say that it is still preferred - it is not. No doubt some inlaws are unkind to their widowed daughter in laws but Nepalese people are no different to any others - there are no more unklind people in that society than any other but it makes a better television programme to say that there are - otherwise what is the story? Nepalese people are generally kind, friendly and I think you should go and see for yourself before you judge on someone elses perceptions/agenda.

• 1 decade ago

Universal human rights are everyone's business. Kudos to you for raising an empathic, caring daughter with a solid sense of right and wrong. As to why this happens, well, how do you explain 5,000 years of belief in male dominance and female subservience to men? Great strides have been made in the past century or so, but we still have plenty of room for improvement, both in our own cultures and worldwide, to eradicate the inequitable treatment of women. It takes a long time for deeply entrenched cultural traditions and deeply rooted ideologies to change--and that is no less true for Hindu cultures as for Christian and other cultures. Do what you can, and keep holding to the ideal of universal equality.

• 1 decade ago

Is sad to hear that in Nepal this is still practise, but in my country, this will not happened, as for what u say the man died and make the woman a jinx in the family this does not only happened in hindus also many other races n countries, as for killing themselves at the funeral of the husband it will only happened if the woman cannot bear to apart from her husband.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

India is very diverse. It is not all of India, and not all Hindus.

There more education the less apt these things will happen. So don't feel there is no hope. Education is spreading fast in India since it's economic boom.

Have you heard of female circumcision? Don't show that one to your daughter.

• 1 decade ago

You do well in feeling sad, but technically, the culture and customs of other places are none of your business. If you feel sad about it, ensure that the policies and laws of your own country protect the innocent in general. There are cases of rape, missing children, pedophiles, etc., yet this country, for example, has a custom of freeing certain cases of child molesters who sadly, go on to commit more crimes. That's a custom you might employ your kind energy in breaking. Home first.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hinduism at its best

is it related to humanism?

• 1 decade ago

Galatians 1

1 Paul, an apostle— sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ

Source(s): Jesus was a woman
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.