Books for teens with cancer/serious illness?

My daughter (she is 16) was diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) a few weeks ago and is feeling very down. I was looking for books for teens dealing with having cancer/serious illness. Do you know any books that might help?

Favorite Answer

Too Soon to Say Goodbye by Deborah Kent is about a girl who is diagnosed with leukemia. I'm not sure how appropriate it is for a teenager, it's a little young (I read it in 4th grade), but you could take a look and see what you think. It can be found on Amazon.com, if not at your local bookstore.

In addition, the Chicken Soup for the Soul books are very good for inspiring stories or tales of people going through similar rough spots. www.chickensoup.com has a complete list of their books. There is a new one out called The Cancer Book. Chicken Soup for the Soul for Teens: on Tough Stuff is a good one with stories on dealing with all kinds of different issues. These books might help lift your daughter's spirits.

Good luck, and I hope she feels better!