? asked in 政治及管治軍事 · 1 decade ago

Can fighter shake off Missiles

Find some of this "amazing" thing show in a drama of mainland drama.

In some drama or USA movie, we can see FIGHTER can shake off the missle chasing it. Including Air-to-Air missile, Ground-to-Air missile, Ship-to-Air missile.

Is that really possible that a jet (like F-18,F-15, J10, Su-27...or even F-22 and F35)can shake off the missile by simply speed up or some incredible movement, not even need flares or laser?

U know a missile is made to destory a plane, its speed must be very fast, must be more than Mach 2(like aim-9 is already Mach 2.5, aim-120 is Mach 4).

I know this is a bit silly question but i still want to know the truth and evidences~

I AM A CHINESE, FEEL FREE to use CHINESE/Cantonese, thank you~~

Update:

Some typing mistakes, plz forgive me~

Update 2:

Dont worry, i am a quick learner~

Update 3:

If you want to know even more, ask supplementry question on it.

Thanks for your answers. Actually, u already answered my questions. But since u said this, i would like to know some more.

but i will make it into another question

1 Answer

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There are too many technical aspect in this question you need to know, and i don't know if you knew it. Without those aspect, it's quite hard to understand the answer. So my answer is simply

Could fighters shake off missile simply by manuvering? - Yes.

Could fighters outrun a missile? - No.

You need to know, there are 2 parts of your questions They seems related, but they aren't. If you want to know more, keep reading....

Is that really possible that a jet (like F-18,F-15, J10, Su-27...or even F-22 and F35)can shake off the missile by simply speed up or some incredible movement, not even need flares or laser?

True, but not out run it with its speed, a fighter can evade any missle simply just speed up and braking. The key is to change course, tho missile are faster, but it cannot make sudden movement, such as altitude drop and sharp turning.

This isdue to missile's own speed which carry a lot of momentum, it cannot be transform to braking nor torque to slow down or make turn. So if a skillful fighter pilot would just keep changing it's course rapidly, the missile will run out of fuel before it catches up.

If you say fighter plane cannot dodge missile without any help cos missile is faster, that's the same as saying motor will always win for the fastest car....

However, afighter cannot outrun a missile, straight line speed, missile always wins out, but again, if the pilot can deal sudden movement with ease, missile can't hit you even if it was faster.

If you want to know even more, ask supplementry question on it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.