Stephanie asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

What do you guys think about taking hormone replacement therapy?

I am asking this for my mother. Her doctor wants her to stay on hormone pills for the rest of her life, but she is worried about breast cancer, and only wants to take the lowest dose for a short amount of time (couple years). Should she stand up to her doctor? PS She is NOT in a high breast cancer risk group

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your mother feels uncomfortable with "traditional" hormone replacement therapy, she should ask her doctor about bio identical hormones. They are developed with products from plants. If her doctor is unfamiliar with them, she can call a compounding pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to recommend a doctor in your area. A compounding pharmacy will "tailor" your mother's hormones to suit her needs.

A couple of words or warning about bio identical hormones. They may not be fully covered by your mother's health insurance and can be expensive. And, since they are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, there is no way to know if they are actually "safer" than traditional hormone replacement therapy.

Hormone replacement therapy is essential for women. As long as your mother has periodic examinations, and since she is not at high-risk for breast cancer, I would suggest she consider hormone replacement therapy.

Source(s): HRT since December, 2004 due to hysterectomy
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.