Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 1 decade ago

A couple basic questions regarding the Peace Corps?

I have some questions regarding the peace corps

1. Does it cost money to join? Hard to get accepted?

2. What kind of help do you provide to people in other countries? Manual labor?

3. How long do you spend in other countries?

4. Is it true that they pay for your air fare and other expenses?

5. Is it also true that you need to be specialized in a certain field? Do you need to have a bachelor's degree?

Has anyone joined or is anyone currently in the peace corps? How was/is it?

I've always been interested in doing something that provided me the oppurtunity to meet other people, help other people, and travel. Seeing as it's near impossible to find a job that will pay you a good amount of money to do that, I figured why not join the peace corps and kind of use it as an experience?

Is it worth it in the end? Not to be selfish or anything but, will it serve as a fun experience? Or is it more one of those things that you'll need to be willing to undergo tough situations, and hard circumstances.. ultimately leaving me to dread my decision in joining?

Please, answer my questions along with anything else you feel it's important I know. Thank you.

Best Answer

Does it cost money to join? No.

Hard to get accepted?

Yes. Last year they had 11,000 applicants and took 4,000.

What kind of help do you provide to people in other countries?

Teaching, nursing, farming advice.

Manual labor? No

How long do you spend in other countries?

3 months training, 2 years service

Is it true that they pay for your air fare and other expenses?

Yes

Is it also true that you need to be specialized in a certain field?

Yes

Do you need to have a bachelor's degree?

89% of all PCVs do.

Developing countries don't need high school graduates. They have plenty of their own. You'd just be taking a job from a local citizen. What they need are college graduates willing to work in an upriver school or a back country clinic. Local college graduates, just like ours, tend to want to work in big cities, where there is something to do at night, a large pool of single people, major league sports, symphony and shopping, etc. etc.

I worked harder and learned more about myself and the world than at any other time in my life. It was the best experience of my life, all told.

The official web site is graphics-heavy but comprehensive:

http://www.peacecorps.gov

This one is great; "So you want to join the Peace Corps?"

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/peacecorps/pea...

If you are interested, you can read about my time as a PCV in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo, 1971 - 1972:

http://www.tedpack.org/pchead.html

At the bottom of the page is a link to the Returned PCV web ring, which has 40+ other RPCV sites.

It isn't all about my experiences. I search Y!A for the phrase "Peace Corps" every week. I have four pages devoted to the questions that come up the most frequently.

You can Google "Peace Corps Volunteer Blog" to find sites about more current experiences.

• luzell

Showers, shaving and laundry fall into classes of things you MUST do however for which you're well-nigh allocated no time. You will gain knowledge of to conform and triumph over. You'll see "private time" at the agenda. It's a mistake to feel of this as exact time for your self. four units of uniforms for which you are going to salary a by no means-finishing wrestle seeking to preserve them from developing deeply cultured funk. You'll get mail. Once you get effective adequate you would discover time to write down a few, too. You will most likely no longer have depart among BCT and AIT. Sometimes the cycles get out of sync then it is a judgment name to maintain you over or deliver you time without work.