Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does this end justify the means?

my parents have a religion but it has been shoved down my throat from the time i was a little kid and they refuse to let me reserch other religions or visit other churches and right now i am having some serious religious doubts...so i've been going behind my parents' backs and reading other bibles and books and such and i evevn found a friend who has taken me to her religious congregation twice, but in order to do this i have had to lie and steal and other things i am not proud of...so, does the end justify the means?

i am almost twenty, livingwith my parents, but they are very strict and very...uhh...powerful, if i live under their roof i follow their rules. I have no car and no money so my life is basically controlled by them, there are no friends to take me in, i'm just afraid that if i wait to long its going to be to late to convince me of anything,

...and if the end doesn't justify the means, what should i do?differently...besides the stealing, (which is just like some bus fare and mom's nicer clothes and such, not like robbing banks or anything...)

• Moi
    Favorite Answer

"but in order to do this i have had to lie and steal and other things i am not proud of...so, does the end justify the means?"

So does this congregation of yours condone such things? If so, I'd suggest that you keep looking.

If the ends must justify the means then the means must be unjustified to begin with. Since there is no way to know with certainty whether the means will achieve the ends, something can always go wrong, it is better to stay within ethical boundaries. You can't build a common good through a private evil.

• Kevin

No, the means you are choosing (lying and stealing) do not justify the end. I applaud you for taking matters into your own hands and looking beyond what's been shoved down your throat. I hope you find what you're looking for. But, if you are going to change your beliefs (again, I'm all for that!) you should be changing them to something better. If you can justify lying and stealing now, what you find will be no more enlightening for you than what your parents are teaching you.

In other words; you can't find enlightenment (to use the word broadly) with dirty hands. Hold yourself to a higher standard than anyone else expects of you.

I don't see why you would need to steal in order to research other religions but other then that I think that having to be secretive about your endeavor is understandable and I don't think God would hold that against you.

But I'd shy away from stealing personally.

as you get older you can chose your own religion but for now you can still learn about the religion you want. but still try to learn about your parents religion and you should not lie and steal and do other things. if your interested in other religion try to learn something about from friends.

• za

How old are you? Respect your parents, but do not be ruled by them. It is likely that they love you dearly, probably more than you realise, so don't turn your back on that love. On the other hand they do not own you, and you owe it to them to work these things out for yourself.

You have the right to your own religion. No one can take away that right. You are right to do the things you are doing. When the romaines were attacking the christians they did worship behind their backs so your just copying what they did.

Like most parents, I believe they have your best interests at heart. But stunting your growth intellectually, shouldn't be allowed by anyone... they should help you examine it...

Knowledge should not be a controlled substance, go for it...

Source(s): IMHO

I dont quite understand where stealing would come into this

I understand why you have had to lie though

• Gerry

When you live in your parents house you are supposed follow their rules