Are Native Americans really insulted by the name of the NFL football team Washington Redskins?

if so, why wasn't this brought up a long time ago. I was just reading about this topic and was curious about it.

Favorite Answer

REAL SKINS don't CARE about mascots.

WE have more pressing issued to deal with.

Like oh, I dunno, LIVING.

Making sure gramma's roof is fixed, the elders have firewood an food for winter time.

You know things that REALLY matter.

I'm beyond tired of those Apples with picket signs. I tell them, "Pick up a damn hammer, and fix SOMETHING. DO SOMETHING for YOUR PEOPLE! WHEN and ONLY WHEN things on the rez are GOOD, THEN you can go PICKET a stupid name."

Personally I rank the mascot issue just below scratching my own @ss.

Source(s): Skindian Enrolled Tribal Member
  • Joanne

The problem here is that the group pursuing the matter is comprised of only seven people, so it's not like the entire Native American population is against the name. This small group of NAs are suing for copyright infringement, not to have the name changed. If the copyright gets voided, it opens the way for this group to sue for damages. It looks to me like their motivation is strictly for monetary gain. I'm half NA, and I don't have a problem with the name at all. It's true we lost our land and it's true Andrew Jackson was the most inhumane president we ever had, but the Redskins were named that because of the NA fighting spirit not as a deragotory slur. To try to change a long standing NFL team name for selfish reasons is ludicrous. I get tired of hearing about this year after year. Besides, what symbolizes a rivalry better than cowboys and indians? The Cowboys against the Redskins gives us all of that.

Yes, redskin is an insulting term towards Native Americans. It's like calling a black person a n***** or an Asian a ch***. Another thing that's offensive is that yahoo will censor THOSE words, but you can say redskin redskin redskin all you want, and it won't get censored. Why? Becausse the Native Americans are SUCH a small minority. Also, since most native Americans have been treated as animals for the past few hundred years, they're become the most impoverished minority in the US.

I am a Native American from the state of California, (Wintun, Pomo, Nomolaki) and yes I do think it is wrong to have any sport or school to have names after Native Americans. First of all, how would you feel if for hundreds of years your women, children, grandparents, and your people as a whole were almost wiped off the face of the earth and later on down the road have people mock your people by running around with a big fat headed outfit, wearing feathers and dancing around? It's like another slap in the face. This is just another one of those things where people are culturally incompetent and just don't care how we feel....

Source(s): Proud California Native
  • TS

No its been brought up a long time ago. Yes, how would you feel if they had a soccer team in Brazil called the "Pale face" or "Whiteskins"?

They could be. When I was in elementary school my school's mascot was the Indians. And when I was about in second grade we had to change it. The school decided on wolves. I voted for camels though. (: We had to change it because of a Native American organization.

DOWN WITH SUPERIOR IQ!!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoiWB...

• Me

They certainly have every right to be insulted.You do realize that the name "red skins" is the same as calling a African American the N-word? The reason why is simple...old school prejudice.

Source(s): I've spent a lot of time on several Native American reservations.

They should be more insulted a that a derogatory term for them is named after such a piss poor football team. The Foreskins suck.

In any case, Native Americans aren't pissed, the "PC" police.

Here's what they should call it to make those hippies happy:

The Chesapeake Bay Area Indigenous Peoples.

It has been an issue for years but you could have found that out by using google, bing or wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins#N...

Yes and I demand the Vikings change their mascot as well! I have also been in contact with some tall people who are offended by the Giants and are tacking legal action. And don't forget those horribly "racist" Houston Texans..Texas weep at the indignity of it all.