Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

I want to become a cop in Baltimore but i'm Irish, what would be the best visa?

i've no relatives over there, and i'm interested in becoming a cop in Bmore.

3 Answers

  • Fred S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You chose a beautiful city, and the Irish people have a long history with police departments in various cities in the U.S. Their contributions to law enforcement are legendary. Unfortunately for you, it will be almost impossible for you to contribute in the same way.

    According to the Baltimore Police Department's website, they only hire U.S. citizens as police officers. See the link below. Even if you qualified for an immigrant visa (and it appears that you do not), they could not hire you until you naturalized, and that would take 3 to 5 years.

    I hope you'll be able to have a successful career in law enforcement. Unfortunately, it is not likely to be in Baltimore.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  • Vivac
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The simple answer is that you can't.There is NO visa that can cover a security position here in the US.A cop is considered a position working with the Government specifically in enforcement & the US is very sensitive concerning these kind of matters,having said that US citizenship is required nothing else is viable concerning immigration status.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.