Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

3000 benefit fraud officers caught 51,000 Benefit thieves last year?

A Benefit fraud officer in London gets between £28.00 and £30.00 per hour and in other areas between £18.00 and £22.00 per hour.

Which is less than 2(Less than 1.5 actually) a month for each officer so at that rate are they doing a good job for the huge salary?

I had a chuckle to myself when i saw on the TV that Benefit thieves should beware the net is closing in!

Mmmmmmmmm!

Your thoughts?

At an average of £25.00 per hour that is £75,000 per hour country wide and that is 600,000 per day in wages.

Talking straight out of rear again Mr S

http://www.jobisjob.co.uk/benefit-fraud/jobs

I do not mind you answering my questions as i do not mind anybody doing so but at least read my offering since when has Oxfordshire and the North East been London?

Favorite Answer

Benefit fraud is a drop in the ocean compared to both tax evasion and tax avoidance. The benefit officers work as teams, several officers deal with one case. Even if they catch one that is one less fraudster. 'Last year, we caught 56,493 benefit thieves – 232 every day' quote from their website.

btw if the police were as good as the benefit fraud office is then we would have no criminals left. By your calculations even 1 fraudster a month per officers is bloody good, well worth what ever they get paid. Now lets deal with the rich fraudsters, and stop bashing the poor.

I doubt it is cost effective, but criminals should not be left to get away with it.

That said, perhaps if work paid, and more work was out there, people would be less inclined to commit fraud. There are people on the dole who languish there for years. They could have learned a trade in that time, or got a degree, or something else of use. It is no good urging people to get off the dole quickly, to improve their performance figures, to go into low paid temporary agency work they hate, which will either come to an end soon, or they will walk away from, and go back through the revolving door of the dole office. A working wage needs to be adequate to pay the bills, without resort to benefits.

The major fraud I see are "giro drops" - rented council houses which officially have a tenant, but not a soul shows up from one week to the next, using the address to claim a single person's benefit, whilst co-habiting with a partner. If we could tackle these, the housing crisis may turn out to be less severe than we think.

• Jim J

Those people caught will be held to account, some jailed and made to pay back what they took dishonestly. Compare that with our MPs who 'still' get the privilege to rule us.

White collar fraud especially in the City of London's financial centres and stock exchanges literally runs into billions of pounds, creamed off never to be seen again. Good lawyers and good accountants with money behind you goes a long way from getting caught as opposed to the so called benefit thieves.

The Government are targeting the wrong people, or they should investigate and convict equally.

Then again its one law for some another law for everyone else.

Well I just met someone who got caught because the fraud officers checked on their MySpace account and saw that they where living with their boyfriend but claiming single occupancy. Pretty sneaky. But the person in question was ALREADY being investigated.

Just don't talk about it on the net ;)

And 1.5 each per month is rubbish. There are loads of benefit fraudsters out there. Not me though.

Source(s): life

Bad results I know, but we really must do something. We cannot allow benefits cheats Carte Blanche to claim what they like without having any investigators at all.

It's like most of these govt departments, they should be setting proper targets, and paid by results from the Prime Minister right down to the man that sweeps the streets. If they paid the inspectors a realistic wage and set bonus per result, I guarantee better results would follow.

How many people did they investigate altogether? You are making the assumption that everyone they investigate is committing benefit fraud.

What of those cases where people are genuinely claiming benefits but have been reported? Those still have to be investigated. I wonder what the figures are of those who have been cleared of making fraudulent claims?

Salaries for fraud officer jobs range from £16,000 to £28,000 depending on your level of experience.

http://www.publicjobsdirect.com/Revenues-Benefits-...

Your link relates to London, Mr S. It may have escaped your notice but things are different outside the the rarefied hothouse that is the metropolis. If you don't like me answering your questions, Mr. S, block me. You have that privilege.

In many parts of the UK it is cheaper to let the fraudsters get away with it and in other areas private investigators are paid up to £200 a day to gather evidence on the thieving scum

You don't list their "huge salary" so maybe they are worth the money/maybe not.

Perhaps a better use of part of that money would be to establish 800 numbers so people could be good citizens and turn in the benefit thieves.

Benefit thieves should be sent to prison.... Errrr, sorry I thought you meant UK MP's 'Expenses scandal' benefit thieves.

It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the tax fraud committed by UK businesses with offshore accounts.

• John

Whats about the 600 odd expenses thieves in Westminster ,who fraud ed the public purse of Millions.

Why does the Poorest in Society get punished the most?