W E
W E asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Seroquel 200 mg as a sleeping pill is the dose too high?

I took one last night for the first time, I'm a little manic. With in 20 mins I was slurring my speech and almost unconscious, I have taken risperadol before and it never had an effect like that. Is this the normal effect? It took almost 8 hours for the effect to were off.

I'm also taking oxcarbazepine 1200 mg (for the Bipolar) and lisinopril 20 mg (high blood pressure).

need help here. My psychiatrist had no answers for me when I called him last night.

Thanks

WE

Also take Claritin 20 mg for allergys.

No, I didn't. I didn't think it would hit me that fast. Never took it before.

What is "CNS" short for? don't know that term. I'm am basically unipolar. I only get very mild depression.

my doctor demand I get off depakote. I hadn't had a mania episode in 5 years. he puts me on another med and guess what I get manic. psychiatrists really need to start listening to their clients.

Thanks all. my current psychiatrist is a jerk. all he wants to do is give me meds and send me out of him office as fast as possible. I need to get a new one.

Yes he started me at 200 mg

Favorite Answer

Your doctor probably should have slowly started the Seroquel over a few days.

800 mg is the maximum dose so you are not on a huge dose for insomnia and bipolar. The effects and its duration of action are normal. I bet when you next take it the side effects will be much lower.

Source(s): I am a medical student at a university in Montréal, QC, Canada for psychiatry and internal medicine. I have a Hons. BSc in pharmacology and I have interned with two psychiatrists and one neurologist. In addition, I have worked as a pharmacy assistant.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm also...

Source(s): seroquel 200 mg sleeping pill dose high: https://shortly.im/0Jl5l
  • bokor

Seroquel Pill

According to the website http://www.rxlist.com/seroquel-drug.htm most people start with 25 mg twice daily on the first day. Then you are slowly increased by 25-50 mg twice daily, etc., depending on your condition.

My situation is different than yours. I have major depression and anxiety. A new shrink wanted to get me off klonopin, so he (the idiot) switched me to seroquel. The 1st month was ok. I think I was at 100 mg. The 2nd month was a nightmare. He bumped me up to 200 mg. My hips got so stiff I had trouble walking. My feet and ankles swelled up like balloons, a condition called edema. In 2 months, I put on 20 pounds. That was the end of seroquel for me.

I have heard of cases like yours with seroquel---slurred speech, extreme drowsiness. Did your shrink start you off on 200 mg? That sounds irresponsible (stupid). I would seriously consider cutting down on your dosage of seroquel. If you are like me, the best thing may be to stop it ASAP.

Oh, yeah, one last thing. I would seriously consider finding a new shrink. At the very least, try to get a 2nd opinion if you can afford it.

Before taking this medicine

You should not use Seroquel if you are allergic to quetiapine.

Seroquel is not approved for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Quetiapine may increase the risk of death in older adults with dementia-related conditions.

To make sure Seroquel is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:

- liver or kidney disease;

- heart disease, heart rhythm problems, a history of heart attack or stroke;

- high or low blood pressure;

- a history of low white blood cell (WBC) counts;

- abnormal thyroid tests or prolactin levels;

- seizures or epilepsy;

- cataracts;

- high cholesterol or triglycerides;

- a personal or family history of diabetes; or

- trouble swallowing.

Some young people have thoughts about suicide when first taking Seroquel. Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits. Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.

Taking antipsychotic medication during the last 3 months of pregnancy may cause problems in the newborn, such as withdrawal symptoms, breathing problems, feeding problems, fussiness, tremors, and limp or stiff muscles. However, you may have withdrawal symptoms or other problems if you stop taking your medicine during pregnancy. If you become pregnant while taking Seroquel, do not stop taking it without your doctor's advice.

Quetiapine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using Seroquel.

Do not give Seroquel to a child without a doctor's advice. Extended-release Seroquel XR is for use only in adults and should not be given to anyone younger than 18 years old.

Cheap Online Market : http://seroquel2.4gw.pw/ukap8

• Carol

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avxfX

Personal stories like that of "~Renay~" is nothing to base a decision on. Just because she had a problem with Ambien does not mean you will. And it is a very widely used drug and most people have no problems. I have taken Ambien on a few occasions without a problem. Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is NOT a hypnotic (sleeping pill). It is an antihistamine with some fairly unique properties that may be helpful for anxiety or insomnia. However it is not approved for treating insomnia, there is not really any scientific evidence it works, and it is not a recommended treatment. Unfortunately absolute paranoia about using controlled substances, especially for psychiatric problems, is leading doctors to use drugs that are not approved and are not proven to work. The original uses of Vistaril have been in treating pruritus (itching) and nausea. However it is also used (with one or more drugs) to treat migraine, other types of pain, or for sedation. Hydroxyzine potentiates the actions of drugs like opioids which is why it may be used in combination. Drugs like Restoril (temazepam), Ambien (zolpidem), and Lunesta (eszopiclone) do have a small potential for abuse and are schedule IV controlled substances however abuse and/or addiction is almost unheard of in people without a personal history of substance abuse and according to most studies people with no personal or family history of substance abuse never develop a problem. But it is drugs like Restoril, Ambien, and Lunesta that are APPROVED to treat insomnia and are highly effective. Lunesta has actually been approved for long term use and several studies have shown its effectiveness for 12+ months, similar data exists for Ambien but it is not approved for long term use and the amount of data is smaller. 100 mg is a standard dose (it is the largest dose made) of Vistaril. The maximum dose is 300-400 mg/day however that is intended to be divided into 3 or 4 doses. Even if it was reasonable to go higher it is VERY unlikely it will help. If 100 mg does nothing then 200 mg is not likely to help any more. And hypnotics work or they don't, people take a pill and either sleep well or not. If it has been four days it is safe to say it won't work. Some medications take time to work but others, like hydroxyzine works in 15-30 min. The most effective and safest drugs are Restoril (temazepam) which is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines or a "Z" drug Ambien/Ambien CR (zolpidem), Sonata (zaleplon), Imovane (zopiclone)- This drug in not available in The US, or Lunesta (eszopiclone). Temazepam is the cheapest, Lunesta and Ambien CR are the most expensive. I typically recommend people either use temazepam or Ambien (if you live in The US) or Imovane (if you don't live in The US). All the drugs I listed work for sleep onset insomnia however Ambien and Sonata are not good for sleep maintenance insomnia. Ambien and Sonata work the fastest and if you really only need something strong to get you to sleep that rapidly wears off then Sonata (or to a slightly less extent Ambien) is the best option. You can have your doctor prescribe, for example, a 10 mg of Sonata and you can try 1/2 and if you need more you can take the whole pill. The maximum dose is 20 mg (which means taking two pills). Sonata has a very short half-life, just 1hr and since you need to be able to wake and be coherent for your child it is probably the best and I would ask your doctor about it however he may pick another medication. Also I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT take any of the following drugs that, like Vistaril, are NOT approved for sleep, don't work well, have little evidence of efficacy and they often have very serious risks, far worse than the risks from Vistaril or hypnotics : Desyrel (trazodone)- an antidepressant Seroquel (quetiapine)- an antipsychotic with very serious potential side effects (permanent diabetes, movement disorders) Elavil (amitriptyline)- an antidepressant Remeron (mirtazapine)- an antidepressant These drugs are fine in treating something but NOT sleep.

if that was the first night you took it then I think it might have been too much. I read on the first day you should take 50mg, 100mg on day 2, and 200 on day 3. I think its just a matter of building a tolerance to it. As with most anti-pyschotic meds it can cause CNS depression. You should probably check with him about the dosage.

• ?

3 Steps to Cure Insomnia Forever!

It is crucial to sleep just after you take your medication, did you do this? 200mg isn't a particularly high dose, but if it starts affecting your Cerebellum and ability to function definitely stop taking it and demand an appointment with your psychiatrist.