How old was your baby when you stopped breast feeding?

My son is 4 months and i breast feed him with my other two i stopped at 6 months do you think that is to old to young or just right?

xx

Favorite Answer

The best advice you can receive is to breastfeed as long as your child wants.

WHO recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years...and beyond.

The benefits breast milk offers a toddler is phenomenal.

"Breastfeeding a toddler may not be everybody’s cup of tea, but it does offer significant nutritional and immunological benefits to the child as well as a reduced risk of breast cancer and osteoporosis to the mother. The disease protective factors of mothers’ milk remain effective as long as the child is breastfed, with some immunities increasing as the infant becomes mobile and exposed to new sources of infection.

The link between breast milk and a child’s intelligence is also interesting. A recent New Zealand study demonstrated that the longer children had been breastfed, the better they scored on standardised maths and reading tests. Another New Zealand study, which dealt specifically with babies nursed longer than a year, showed fewer behavioural problems in six to eight year olds. According to the test results, the longer the children had been breastfed, the better they tended to behave."

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/toddler/exte...

"In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:

29% of energy requirements

43% of protein requirements

36% of calcium requirements

75% of vitamin A requirements

76% of folate requirements

94% of vitamin B12 requirements

60% of vitamin C requirements "

"The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness (AAFP 2001).

Nursing toddlers between the ages of 16 and 30 months have been found to have fewer illnesses and illnesses of shorter duration than their non-nursing peers (Gulick 1986).

"Antibodies are abundant in human milk throughout lactation" (Nutrition During Lactation 1991; p. 134). In fact, some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).

Per the World Health Organization, "a modest increase in breastfeeding rates could prevent up to 10% of all deaths of children under five: Breastfeeding plays an essential and sometimes underestimated role in the treatment and prevention of childhood illness."

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits...

I'm currenlty breastfeeding my 8 month old son and my 3.5 year old daughter breastfeeds twice a day.

My son turned 1 yesterday and we are still breastfeeding.

These days its only 2-3 feeds a day. He's decided the world is so interesting that he rarely feeds during the day at all... really only if we are home and he's not distracted. If we are out he will just have water or sometimes cow's milk in a sippy cup.

But he's still having a feed morning and night and from what I've been told by my breastfeeding counsellor, after 12 months your breasts modify the milk to your babies needs to a point where even if they are only having one feed a day, they just get a super shot of nutrients rather than the same amount of nutrients spread out over 3 or 4 feeds. So I am keen to continue for his sake.

He takes his morning feed in particular VERY seriously and I can't imagine him giving it up any time soon.

I personally think 6 months is young to stop... if you're onto a good thing why give it up? But its up to you and your baby.

My son is 14 months and we have nearly stopped completely. At 12 months he was still breast feeding twice a day or so. Since then we have been working toward just cow's milk. I think 6 months is too young if you are still happy doing it. Why pay for formula when you have the perfect nutrition for free?

My son is 20 months and still breastfeeding. Although now it's only twice a day - naptime and bedtime. I love it because whenever he gets sick, I know the milk helps him get better much faster and easier. He's never had more than a runny nose for a couple of days.

If your baby still needs milk (is less than 1 year) than they are not ready to wean. It's too early. Most normal toddlers still want to nurse at 12 months, but start cutting back the number of feedings by 14 to 15 months, when they are eating 3 solid meals a day plus snacks.

Source(s): Nursing and co-sleeping mom to 20 month old boy
  • Fran

If the mother really wants to stop, she can start offering comforting bedtime rituals to replace nursing, such as a warm bath and a backrub, a lullaby in the rocking chair, or cuddling the baby in bed until he is drowsy or asleep. However, if the child is down to only night-time nursing, he is already being gradually weaned from the breast. Age 3.5 is the average age for weaning worldwide, although it is sometimes considered advanced in this part of the world, where weaning is often very early. After age 3, a child will gradually decrease nursing until he stops altogether on his own. She could speed up the process a little by not actively offering the breast and just soothing the child to sleep in other ways, but allowing him to nurse if he is upset, ill, or just really wants to nurse on a given night.

I stopped at 13 months because of medicines I needed to start. I think that you have to follow what feels right to you. They recommend atleast 12 months and after I stopped nursing my youngest I quickly learned why. I stopped nursing and shortly after he got the flu :-( which was horrible. He now doesn't sleep and I think he is devoloping a problem with milk. I am beginning to wish I would have waited longer. I stopped with my other boys at 3 months and they got sick shortly after. While I am not saying your son won't get sick while nursing, there is a stronger chance of illness if you stop especially during flu season. The breastmilk seems to hydrate better I think. So if you get to 6 months and decide to switch to formula then good for you making it that long but you can nurse for much longer if you choose to. It is all up to you.

with my son he was tongue tied and couldn't latch on right, so i stopped at around 10days but i pumped my milk into a bottle till he was 6months then i slowly weaned him off breast milk to formula ova a month.

with my second im still breastfeeding her and she is almost 9 months(and 5 teeth). i am pregnant again so i will most likely wean her at a year old onto cows milks because i don't feel comfortable about the whole tandem feedin thing and i want to have some time to myself (if u know what i meant) before this next bub come. coz i will have 3 under 3.

• Jan M

That is too young for me, I'm not into dealing with bottles or weaning and unless there was a problem I would never sign up for having to mix formula and cart around ice packs and put out the insane amount of money formula costs, but that's just me. My son self weaned at 16 months, and my 13 month old is still nursing 2-3 times a day, I'm due again in July and if my daughter is still nursing then I will tandem nurse them both until they are ready to stop on their own (within reason of course I have no intention of nursing a child in Kindergarten in most cases toddlers wean themselves long before then)

I began supplementing with my first at a month, and quit breastfeeding by 3 months but that was due to lack of information and support. My second is almost 6 months and still going strong. I plan on letting her wean herself. Once they start baby food they do breastfeed less and basically handle the weaning on their own eventually. You can encourage it with expressed milk in sippy cups too. I just don't see the point of paying for formula when you have the good stuff for free.

To answer your second question:

If you are happy to continue that's "just right for you"

If you are happy to start reducing feeding that's also "just right for you"

If you reduce and are unhappy you can start up again and that'll be "just right for you".

If you are happy breastfeeding right now and think you want to continue, set yourself goals that are attainable (so now would be I'd like to BF until 6 months and then when you reach that, set another attainable goal, which is different for everyone's circumstances) so that when you reach them you feel good about yourself.

To answer your first question, I BF for 16 1/2 months. Up to 13 months it was quite often, but then he started to walk and got more active, started sleeping 10 hours straight through and at the same time started dropping feeds (the world was more interesting to explore!). We were down to 3 feeds a day by 15 months and twice a day by 16 months. The last two feeds were dropped naturally, when both of us felt ready. It was "just right for us".

• My son was 3 months when I stopped breastfeeding. I wouldn't have chosen to stop, but he had a tongue tie and couldn't stimulate a milk supply or get hindmilk. He lost too much weight and was dehydrated.... I was told (by midwives) to give him formula to keep him hydrated and help him gain weight when he was 2 weeks old. I continued breastfeeding and had his tongue tie clipped... but was topping up with formula, which won over in the end. At 3 months, my milk had pretty much dried up and he wouldn't latch on at all. In hindsight, I should have ditched the formula as soon as his tongue was fixed, but I was terrified as a first time mum as the midwife said he'd have to go into hospital and be on a drip if I stopped the formula.

My son is 14 months old now and if breastfeeding had worked, I would have continued until he self-weaned. Preferably by around age 2, but maybe much sooner/later depending on what he wanted and how it was working out.

I'd say carry on at least until his first birthday unless you can't manage for some reason? At 6 months, he'll be having solids and will start to reduce feeds anyway. 6 months sounds early to me.