Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Road Bike frame Question?

I'm ordering a road bike online it's complete and it's a Aluminum alloy Frame but for an additonal 20$ you can choose a chromoly frame. What's the difference between Chromoly and aluminum alloy?

Best Answer

Something wrong here (aside from a couple of really stupid answers). CroMo is steel principally alloyed with Molybdenum and is a generic term, since most steel alloys for bikes have some Moly in them. It is easy to work with: ductile, welds very well and is strong. However, there are much better, more expensive steel alloys than plain old CroMo (like the legendary Reynolds 531) and if it were any good they wouldn't use a generic term but would specify.

Aluminum bike frames are never pure aluminum but are also alloys of different metals and they come in different grades with 6061 T6 being preferred for bikes. Aluminum is harder to weld and if done badly leads to a very very weak frame.

But

Steel is cheap, even CroMo, and its always cheaper than Aluminum, even badly done. Check your catalog, there's something wrong here.

A true Track bicycle (not a fixie) has more harsh/aggressive geometry. It has a higher head angle, higher seat tube angle, shorter chainstays, shorter wheelbase, higher bottom bracket, and less fork rake. All this adds up to a bike that is very responsive and has sensitive steering. Like a race car. They tend to be stiffer, but that also depends on the quality and material. The drawback is that it's not the most comfortable. I sometimes go ride on a trail when the track is closed, and you feel every little thing on the road. It's also more difficult to keep it on a straight line than a road bike. It's designed to be out of balance so you can make quick turns. You can't ride for more than about an hour, though. A conversion is just a less practical road bike. If you really want to try it out, then go for it. It's very fun. If you can afford 2 bikes, then that's the way to go in my opinion.

Chromoly is a steel alloy, a frame made from it will be a bit heavier than an aluminum frame, but it will probably make for a smoother ride, A good steel frame will probably outlast an aluminum frame. Without knowing the actual details of the frame construction, it would be hard to tell which frame is actually better. Good aluminum frames offer great performance, and a poorly made steel frame would not be a good buy.

Chromoly is the industry name for steel alloy. Pay for the bonus. Likely to be a better bike, and lighter as well

Where I live, chromoly bike will cause me another $2000/- (I am cycling one)

Source(s): Road Bike Cyclist
  • davj61

I agree with joebanks. Cromoly frames have always been cheaper that even budget aluminum frames. I should know because I work in a bike shop part time during the summer. Example: Specialized has a cromoly frame roadbike in their 2010 Allez line. That one is the lowest priced of that line.

Um, I would recommend against a "cromoly" frame as this is the generic term for steel that is barely above hi tensile in actual composition. If they don't specifically use the term "4130" or some number designation then it really shouldn't be considered. Another (bad) clue is the name "cromoly" instead of CrMo or Chrome Moly.

I think I just answered another question just like this... hmmm.

Source(s): 30 years in the industry

Aluminum is much lighter and stiffer. I highly recommend the 19-pound, 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9/6. It rides much better than some carbon frames and accelerates like a slingshot:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/10/cusa/model-0RA9...

Source(s): I own one. The BEST performance road bike bargain today, by far.

Chrome Moly is a steel frame Chromed if dinged or hit it could rust. Also chrome sometimes hides defects or fractures, and Aluminum alloy is a lighter frame, no rust. easy to bend not as strong as steel. Easier for smaller person to handle bigger framed bike

Source(s): me

hm

used to be steel was cheaper than aluminum

i would ask more questions

try to find out how good each one really is, how heavy..

wle.

aluminium