What do you think of the death penalty?

Most people would say it was wrong, but let me ask you this, what if someone killed your child? Do you think they deserve to be killed?

Favorite Answer

If somebody harmed somebody close to me, I would want to personally rip out their throat.

But that does not make it right.

I live in Texas, and I supported capital punishment for a long time, but the more I learned about it, the more I came to oppose it. In the end, several factors changed my mind:

1. By far the most compelling is this: Sometimes the legal system gets it wrong. In the last 35 years in the U.S., over 130 people have been released from death row because they were exonerated by DNA and other evidence. These are ALL people who were found guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.” Unfortunately, DNA evidence is not available in most homicide cases. So, as long as the death penalty is in place, you are pretty much GUARANTEED to occasionally execute an innocent person. How would YOU feel if someone YOU loved was executed for a crime they did not commit?

Really, that should be reason enough for most people to oppose it, but there are many others:

2. Cost: Because of higher pre-trial expenses, longer trials, jury sequestration, extra expenses associated with prosecuting & defending a DP case, and the appeals process (which is necessary - see reason #1), it costs taxpayers MUCH more to execute prisoners than to imprison them for life. This disparity becomes even greater when you consider the time value of money – most of the costs of capital punishment are up-front, occurring before and during the trial itself, whereas most of the costs of life imprisonment are spread over the term of incarceration (usually 30-40 years).

3. It is not a deterrent. In fact, violent crime rates are consistently HIGHER in death penalty jurisdictions. This may seem counterintuitive, and there are many theories about why this is (Ted Bundy saw it as a challenge, so he chose Florida – the most active execution state at the time – to carry out his final murder spree). It is probably due, at least in part, to the high cost (see #2) - every extra dollar spent on capital punishment is one that's NOT going to police departments, drug treatment programs, education, and other government services that help prevent crime. Personally, I think it also has to do with the hypocrisy of the state taking a stand against murder…by killing people. The government fosters a culture of violence by saying, ‘do as I say, not as I do.’

4. It is inconsistently and arbitrarily applied. Factors that should be irrelevant (geography, race of the victim, poor representation, etc.) are all too often the determining factors in whether someone gets death versus life in prison.

5. There’s also an argument to be made that death is too good for the worst criminals. Let them wake up and go to bed every day of their lives in a prison cell, and think about the freedom they DON’T have, until they rot of old age. When Ted Bundy was finally arrested in 1978, he told the police officer, “I wish you had killed me.” Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (the architect of the 9/11 attacks) would love nothing better than to be put to death. In his words, "I have been looking to be a martyr [for a] long time."

6. Most governments are supposed to be secular, but for those who invoke Christian law in this debate, you can find arguments both for AND against the death penalty in the Bible. The New Testament (starring Jesus) is primarily ANTI-death penalty. For example, in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus praises mercy (Matthew 5:7) and rejects “an eye for an eye” (Matthew 5:38-39). James 4:12 says that GOD is the only one who can take a life in the name of justice. In John 8:7, Jesus himself says, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I'm against it - but I think the specific question you raised is best answered by families of murder victims.

Take a look at www.mvfr.org. You'll see that people whose children have been murdered do not necessarily think the killer should be executed. Some of them are against the death penalty for moral reasons and some because of the pain that the death penalty process adds to the pain that they already feel. Here is a quote from a man whose son was murdered, and who now runs a state organization that helps families of murder victims:

"When I first see a client, I silently pray the prosecutor will decide against pursuing the death penalty, but not because I am against that form of punishment. My prayers are for the victims and the hope they will be spared the pain, isolation and despair the death penalty process inevitably will bring."

• im 50/50

i feel like the death penalty is an easy way out for them, i rather that person rot in jail and suffer

but then the other part of me feels that if someones did a bad crime like murder than really they dont deserve to live so maybe the death penalty is acceptable.

hmm its a tough topic and yeah im still under-sided on whether i support it or not

I think it's wrong. If we kill a murderer, we in turn are becoming as bad as the murderer. Plus, the murderer deserves to be alive and suffer 4 what they've done. Dying is an easy way out.

Murdering a murderer doesn't make it any better.

And I would much rather that they live out the rest of their lives in misery. Solitary confinement for 24 hours a day is far worse then death.

• It's not fair to have your own being killed

And The killer out there breathing.

If You take a Life, You Must Be Willing to have yours took.

So I am For It.

But Like For little petty stuff.. Then No.. I am Against it.

So It's 50/50 for me.

• Tomra

I'm not sure what to think.

Part of me believes that every human has the basic right to live without murder, but... I understand where you're coming from.

I think it's wrong.

Source(s): ╔══╗ ╚╗╔╝ ╔╝╚╗ (¯`v´¯) ╚══╝ `•.¸.•´ ╔╗╔═╦╦╦═╗ ╔╗╔╗ ║╚╣║║║║╩╣ ║╚╝║ ╚═╩═╩═╩═╝ ╚══╝♥MICHAEL♥

Michael Jackson is dead.