If you HAD to name your son one of these names...?

This or that with very old-fashioned vs. overly trendy names.

Ernie or Brayden

Harold or Dakota

Abraham or Bailey

Chester or Rain

Rufus or or Peyton

Edgar or Xander

Percy or Blaze

Gideon or Kyler

Dennis or Skyler

Ulysses or Aiden

Ezra or Jagger

Heathcliff or Zane

Archie or Ryker

Stanley or Phoenix

Rupert or Diesel

Thaddeus or Bronx

Favorite Answer

Ernie or Brayden - Ernie

• Both of these names are bad, but I truly despise this "-ayden" trend, so I'm going with Ernie. Ernie reminds me of Sesame Street, though! Most definitely an extremely hard choice.

Harold or Dakota - Harold

• I actually sort of like the name Harold. It was my great grandfather's name, so if I ever used it, I would be honoring him. It's also capable of the adorable nickname, Harry. Dakota doesn't appeal to me at all. Very, very trendy name.

Abraham or Bailey - Abraham

• Abraham's alright. I mean, it isn't absolutely terrible. I do prefer Abram, though. That one is on my favourites list. Abraham is close to it, so I chose that one. I dislike Bailey for either gender.

Chester or Rain - Chester

• Chester's kind of cute . . . for a dog. No matter, I'd choose it over Rain any-day! Rain is just absolutely horrid. I can't imagine it on a human.

Rufus or or Peyton - Rufus

• Rufus is another pet name, in my opinion. I honestly can't imagine the name on a little boy. But to be completely honest, it's a lot better than the name Peyton which I hate!

Edgar or Xander - Edgar

• I love the name Edgar! People might consider it a very old-fashioned name, but I think it's handsome and appealing. Though Edgar (and Edgardo) are popular with Latino families, and have had such famous forebears as Edgar Allan Poe, most would rate it a distant third to Edward and Edmund. Xander is far too trendy for my own personal taste.

Percy or Blaze - Percy

• Eh, Percy isn't that bad. A bit more down-to-earth than the name Percival, that's for sure. Believe it or not, I think it could make a comeback down the road. Blaze is just . . . I can't even explain it! It's too absolutely horrible for words!

Gideon or Kyler - Gideon

• I like Gideon and its Biblical sense. It isn't my favourite Biblical name, but it could definitely work and I can imagine it on a boy of any gender. Kyler is made up and trendy -- Hideous.

Dennis or Skyler - Dennis

• I have an uncle named Dennis. He is a great guy with a cool, fun-loving personality, so the name places pleasant associations in my head. Schuyler is fine when spelled traditionally. Skyler is just extremely unappealing and childish.

Ulysses or Aiden - Ulysses

• Ulysses isn't too terrible, and U.S. Grant was a strong and independent man. Not too bad of an association, if you were to ask me. Like I said above, hate the "-ayden, -aiden, -aidyn, etc..." trend. So, Aiden is certainly out of the question here.

Ezra or Jagger - Ezra

• Aw, I absolutely adore the name Ezra! It's definitely one of my favourite Biblical names for a boy. It has a lot going for it: the strength of its heroic Biblical legacy, its quirky sound, and its fresh but familiar feel. According to the Bible, Ezra led a group of fifteen hundred Israelites out of slavery in Babylon and back to Jerusalem. And there's the poetry connection to Ezra Pound. Jagger seems so aggressive to me -- I hate it.

Heathcliff or Zane - Heathcliff

• Dislike both of these names, but old-fashioned always wins over trendy. Heath would be fine on its own, but Heathcliff seems overdone and mushed together. Sounds like two separate words, actually. Zane seems "out there" to me.

Archie or Ryker - Archie

• I think Archie is cute as a name on its own, and as a nickname to a longer more proper name. Ryker sounds like it should be the name of a car, or the name of a pet. Anything other than a human!

Stanley or Phoenix - Stanley

• I love the name Stanley. I've never been a huge fan of the name until my cousin recently named her baby boy that. I've grown very fond of it since he's been born. Phoenix is ridiculous.

Rupert or Diesel - Rupert

• Both of these are hideous, to be completely and utterly honest. Rupert makes me laugh every time I hear it. It just has such a comical sound to it. I imagine a fat man that never stops smiling for some strange reason. Diesel sounds to me like it should be the name of a dog. Rupert wins, though.

Thaddeus or Bronx - Thaddeus

• Thaddeus is fine. This distinguished, long-neglected appellation has several areas of appeal: a solid New Testament legacy (it was another name for the Apostle Jude), a nice antique feel, and the choice of several more modern nicknames and variations -- I particularly like the Italian Taddeo. It can also be shortened to Teddy, which is cute. Hate Bronx.

Fun question - great idea!

Brayden - because Ernie is just terrible.

Harold - I think Harold and Kumar made me have a soft spot of this name.

Abraham - I totally love this name

Chester - I kind of have a soft spot for this name and I'm pretty sure Rain is a girl's name

Peyton - I like this name but I was pretty sure that this is an old fashioned man's name but a trendy girl's name ... sort of like Addison

Xander - which I'm pretty sure is a nickname for Alexander

Blaze - but then I would give him the middle name DANGER - either way Percy or Blaze he'll still be a douche bag

Gideon - I think Battlestar Galatica has given me a softness for names like Gaius so Gideon is pretty close

Dennis - I would call him Denny which I don't think is terrible but Skylar is an abortion

Ulysses - clearly this is a badass name

Ezra - clearly this is a badass name

Zane - this is kind of an old man name where i'm from .... ok not like OLD, but like 30s - 40s

Archie - because I would name him Archer

Phoenix - I don't hate this name but it's more interesting than Stanley

Rupert - Um....yeah Buffy made me like this name and Vin Diesel is a douche

Thaddeus!! - hooray I actually am going to name my first son this because it's my dad's name, and my grandfather's name and his father and his father and his father and his father etc etc etc...yeah i love it - totally traditional and totally badass....Bronx is lame - might as well name your kid Brooklyn...oh wait

• lin.

Ernie or Brayden - Brayden, because I hate Sesame Street

Harold or Dakota - Harold

Abraham or Bailey - Abraham, although I usually try to stay away from religious names

Chester or Rain - Chester

Rufus or or Peyton - Peyton, Rufus sounds like dufus

Edgar or Xander - Edgar

Percy or Blaze - Um, Blaze

Gideon or Kyler - What kind of names are either of these? But I'll go with "Kyler"

Dennis or Skyler - Dennis

Ulysses or Aiden - Aiden (Yeah, I'm into the Aiden trend)

Ezra or Jagger - Erm... Jagger, I guess

Heathcliff or Zane - Zane

Archie or Ryker - Archie

Stanley or Phoenix - Stanley

Rupert or Diesel - Um, I guess I'll go with Diesel and name my son after gasoline

Thaddeus or Bronx - Oh dear... Bronx, I guess

• Didi

Brayden

Neither

Abraham

Chester

Peyton

Xander

Blaze

Gideon

Skyler

Aiden

Ezra

Heathcliff

Ryker

Phoenix

Diesel

Bronx

Brayden

Harold

Abraham

Chester

Peyton

Xander

Percy

Kyler

Skyler

Aiden

Ezra

Zane

Archie

Phoenix

Diesel

Thaddeus

Ernie

Harold

Bailey (though I hate Bailey for a boy, I just hate Abraham more)

Chester

Peyton

Edgar (Xander is a nickname, not a name)

Percy

Kyler (which is old fashioned, it just hasnt been used in a long time)

Dennis

Ulysses (I actually have some friends with that name)

Ezra (though I am not a fan of either unless Jagger is a nickname/last name)

Heathcliff (I only know girls named Zane)

Archie

Stanley

Rupert

Thaddeus

Brayden over Ernie

Neither Harold (sounds old) nor Dakota (sounds girly)

Neither Braham nor Bailey (for the exact same reason as above)

Chester over Rain (this is a girl's name)

Peyton over Rufus (this is a dog's name)

Xandar over Edgar (I don't know that you want to reference Poe here)

Neither Percy (sounds old) or Blaze (for a fictional person like a combic book hero maybe)

Neither Gideon (he might get made fun of for it) nor Kyler (might as well be Tyler)

Dennis over Skyler (All the Skyler's I know are girls)

Aiden over Ulysses (maybe in the 1800s but we're in 2000)

Neither Ezra or Jagger (we're back to girly and combic book hero)

Zane over Heathcliff (Way too long for a first name, I think)

Ryker over Archie (Ryker is so original and Archie is...well...comic book)

Stanley over Phoenix (Phoenix is more of a girl's name)

Neither Rupert nor Diesel (Rupert is a cartoon and Diesel is gas, no)

Neither Thaddeus nor Bronx (where are you getting some of these names?)

Hm...

Brayden - Ernie is an ugly name where as Brayden is cool

Harlod - I don't like Dakota for a boy

Abraham - this is such a awesome biblical name

Chester - Rain I feel is more suitable for a girl

Peyton - I prefer it on a girl but Rufus is awful

Xander - I like Xander as a nickname for Alexander

Blaze - I don't like either

Gideon - even though it reminds me of a womanzier fool it's quite a nice name

Dennis - Skyler is bad

Aiden - I like this name a lot

Ezra - Jagger is stupid

Heathcliff - I love Wuthering Heights

Archie - Ryker is bad Archie is decent

Phoenix - Just

Diesel - Rupert I can't bear

Thaddeus - nicer much nicer

Hope this helped!

Neither. But if I absolutely, positively had to pick, Brayden

See above

Abraham

Chester. At least I could call him "Ches."

Rufus. This was my grampa's name, actually.

Xander. I actually like this one a lot.

Blaze, spelled Blaise so it doesn't look like I just made it up out of thin air.

Gideon. We picked this one out for our son, but when he got here he just didn't seem like a Gideon.

Neither. I think of Skyler as more of a girl's name.

Aiden

Jagger

Zane

Ryker. Like this one.

Eh... Phoenix.

LOL Diesel. That's how much I don't like Rupert.

Thaddeus. I could always call him Tad.

Brayden

Dakota

Abraham

Chester

Peyton

Xander

Blaze

Kyler

Dennis

Aiden

Jagger

Zane

Ryker

Phoenix

Diesel

Thaddeus.