promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can someone translate these parts of Jefferson's First Inaugural Address?

Can someone, in your own words, translate these chunks so as I can fully understand what Jefferson was saying? Please and Thank you.

"During the contest of opinion through which we have passed the animation of discussions and of exertions has sometimes worn an aspect which might [worry] strangers unused to think and speak and write what they think. But this [election] being now decided by the voice of the nation...all will arranged themselves under the will of the law, and unite in common efforts for the common good."

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will be rightful, must be reasonable. The minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and which yo violate would be oppression. Let us, then, fellow citizens, unite with one heart and mind. ... ...let us reflect that, having banished from our land that religious intolerance under which mankind so long bled and suffered, we have gained little if we countenance a political intolerance [just] as despotic, and as capable of bitter and bloody persecution."

"...every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. We have called by different names [brothers] of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists. ...I know, indeed, that some honest men fear that a republican government cannot be strong, that this Government is not strong enough. But would the honest patriot, in the full tide of [this] successful experiement, abandon a government which has so far kept us free...? I believe this, on the contrary, the strongest government on earth. I believe it the only one where every man, at the call of the law, would fly to the standard of the law..."

1 Answer

Relevance
  • jehen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well I think your editing makes it harder to understand, but here goes...

We just went through a nasty campaign. It's time to come together for the common good.

The winners (majority) must remember that though they rule, they are not free to strip the losers (minority) of their rights and oppress them. We founded this nation to banish religious intolerance, but we have gained nothing if we practice political intolerance.

The last paragraph is a hope that even though Federalist (who favored a strong central government) and Republicans who favored a weaker central government) disagree on the amount of power the central government should have to succeed, all would support the government when called as it was the law of the land. This was still a touchy issue. The Constitution came about because the Articles of Confederation, a very weak central government, failed. Our constitution created a single nation with a strong central government. In this regard the "Federalists' won the day. But the "Republicans" of the day found it hard to swallow and were instrumental in adding the bill of rights to the constitution to put specific limits on the government as regards to what it could and could not do to its citizens.. Adams, who Jefferson had just defeated was Federalist. Jefferson was a Republican. Even though he disagreed with the Federalist, even the Constitution itself in some ways, he was declaring his support for and calling for universal support of the Government he was elected to lead. The government, such as it was, was the best one we could have.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.