Dell Inspiron 1501 Slow after Reimage?

My Wife bought a Dell inspiron 1501 a few years ago, when she got it, it ran fine for what she uses it. She mainly just browses the web, sends e-mail via hotmail and uses excel and word for school. It has since gotten extremely slow to the point where it is almost unusable. I have done the following:

Scanned for viruses, spyware, malware etc. - nothing

Reimaged the computer - ctrl - F11

Flashed the bios

upgraded the driver for her processor and HD

installed updates from microsoft

Followed the list regarding services from theeldergeek.com

The changes recommended on the XP services list from the eldergeek.com did help a bit, the computer is no longer showing 100% usage, in fact usually under 10% occasionally as high as 30% rarely above 60%. However the typing is still slow, and programs are frequently freezing or taking a long time to load. even shutting it down takes about 5-10 minutes.

Her computer is running XP and has 1GB ram. I would appreciate any help available. Thanks

Thank you, I have run all the recommended tests, and the machine passed them all.

As for whether or not the system bios is set up for Cacheing or not, I don't know and don't know how to check.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

I partially agree with the person above me. It could be the hard-drive or the Memory. You're clear on the software side.. No reason for the laptop to be so slow unless its hardware related. Better check the hardware. However, you can skip the steps he recommends. If the computer was recently re-imaged, CHKDISK won't be of much help. You can also skip the MemTest part as Dell laptops come with a diagnostic utility which checks each and every hardware component for functionality. To proceed, turn off your computer. Hold down Fn and hit the power button to turn it On. It will start in the diagnostic mode. After a few basic tests (if passed without errors), choose to boot into the Utility Partition and run the Extended Tests. This would probably take a few hours. Uf you get any error codes, check your user manual or http://support.dell.com/ to find out more about it.

Check this link to know more about Dell Diagnostics.

Maybe you are having problems with your hard drive? You should rule out hardware problems. From Windows, open my computer, then right click drive c and click properties. Under tools click error checking. Check both check boxes and click start. It will tell you that it can't run the check while windows is running and ask if you want to run it on restart. Click yes and reboot the computer. Checkdisk should run and will let you know if it finds any problems. If it finds any, then replace the hard drive.

It could also be the memory. Download memtest and run it overnight to confirm that the memory is not slowing you down. If you have any failed passes, then replace the memory.

• ?

If your machine has 1GB of RAM, is it all passing the self test at power-on? Can you see it count up the memory and test it?

It could be the cache is not enabled in BIOS, so check that.

It could be the cache chip is enabled but is defective, so replace either CPU (level1), or cache chip(level2) on motherboard (or replace motherboard, because cache chip is soldered on).

There may be a CPU speed test that can test cache chips, or just overall CPU speed.

Hey,

In my opinion Ccleaner is the number one tool for cleaning your pc. I've been using it for more then a year now and it works very well. You can grab your free copy here http://bitly.com/UrAO6V

I have been using it for years