promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
jak. asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

what caliber is best for moose or caribou hunting?

I was just wondering what caliber of rifle is best for moose or caribou hunting, and would a 12 gauge shotgun with rifled slugs be affective for that kind of big game, and also what caliber handgun is best, and is bow and arrow a good idea for moose and caribou too?

jak

13 Answers

Relevance
  • TX 65
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A 12 Gauge Slug can be used provided you keep the range close in.

As far as a handgun, the 44 magnum would be the minimum with the 460 or 500 S&W Magnum even better suited.

As far as rifle cartridges, the smallest cartridge would be the 6.5x55 Swede which has been the choice for moose and caribou for decades particularly in Sweden, Norway and Finland. In that same caliber, you could also go with the 6.5-284 or 264 Win Magnum using heavy bullet offerings.

Going to larger caliber rifle cartridges with heavier bullets would be a good choice... Some to consider would be

270 Winchester

7mm Remington Mag

7mm STW

30-06

300 Win Mag

338 Win Mag

Bow hunting is possible, but only for very experienced bow hunters and since you would be bear country,,,a large caliber magnum handgun would be a required back-up

Source(s): Retired FFL Dealer / Importer
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Reb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I would definitely use at least a .30 caliber or 7mm maybe a .270 win if under 100 yards. look into the .30-06, .308, or 7mm rem mag. a 12 ga. using slugs will depend what your set up is like, a rifled barrel using sabot slugs with some kind of scope or red dot and you can be accurate with it around 50-75 yards then the 12 ga. should work fine in that situation.

• 1 decade ago

.300, 338, 375 H&H mag., mainly for the moose. Caribou can be shot with just about anything, however I recommend a flat shooting rifle as you will probably encounter some distant shots. Moose are very large animals and tuff to boot. I shot a moose at 225 yds. with a 375 H&H mag. and found the bullet under the hide on the exit side, was a Barnes bullet in a hot load, so don't underestimate them

Source(s): 40+ years of powder burning
  • 3 years ago

Moose Shot Placement

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

All around cartridges for such game in Alaska are the .300 mag and .338 mag. You should consider where these animals live in Alaska there are large bears so your rifle should be both for hunting and protection.

Caribou are taken here all the time with assorted center fire ammo, such rounds as the .243, .270, .308 even the 30-30. But moose generally need to be taken with at least a .308 for a swift kill.

Shotgun slugs will work but will greatly limit your range.

• 1 decade ago

Just remember that shot placement is your friend. If your shooting at least a 30-06 then you should be fine for moose or caribou. the wife uses a Browing 25-06 with me backing her up with my 300 Wby Mag.

Good Hunting..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no "best caliber" for anything. I would recommend .308 Win, 30-06, and maybe .270 though as they have excellent ballistics and are very popular in the states.

• 4 years ago

There will be no requirement to look for a godfather or cash to bribe authorities to obtain your work done once you have discovered the best ways to make law of attractionwork in your favor and for you. You will see that the whole universe will work to make you effective in your endeavor after you apply the guidelines from this guide https://tr.im/hCHhr in your life.

Manifestation Miracle is nothing but a discovery of a few of the laws of the universeand that one can benefit of these laws in his life. One such law is the Law of attraction that says that we draw in things from the universe. These things are both positive as well as unfavorable. However by using a couple of easy techniques that you will discover here is possible making this law of universe work for you and begin to change the things.

• 1 decade ago

280 remington caliber hands down the best all round caliber. If you want to see you self look up the ballistics of it on google.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would be using either a 270. win, 30-06, 7mm rem mag or a 300 win mag

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.