Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

How come United States Citizens are allowed to enter the UK for 6 months?

But UK citizens are only allowed 90 days in the US?

9 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    United States passports are passports issued to citizens and nationals of the United States of America.[1] Issued exclusively by the U.S. Department of State,[2] two document formats are produced: passport booklets and passport cards.[3]

    U.S. passport booklets are valid for travel by Americans anywhere in the world, although travel to certain countries and/or for certain purposes may require a visa. They conform with recommended standards (i.e., size, composition, layout, technology) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).[4] There are four types of passport booklets; as well, the Department of State has issued only e-passports as standard since August 2007, though non-biometric passports are valid until their expiry dates.[5]

    The Department of State has also issued passport cards since July 2008, which are valid for travel by Americans via land and sea between the United States and any of Canada, Mexico, most Caribbean territories, and Bermuda.[6][7] While the passport cards conform with ICAO recommended standards for credit-card-size travel documents,[8] they cannot be used for international air travel to another country because passport cards do not meet ICAO recommended standards for passport booklets.[9]

    A U.S. passport proves the nationality of the bearer, and, consequently, his/her right to assistance from United States consular officials overseas or his/her right to return to the United States, as the case may be. If a citizen does not have a passport (e.g., because it was stolen), and he/she can prove his United States nationality by another means (e.g., by providing information about him/herself), he/she will be entitled to consular assistance as a citizen or to enter the United States as a citizen, lack of a passport notwithstanding

  • 1 decade ago

    That's the laws of the two respective countries. Each decides their own. As in all of these things, each country decides who it will allow to enter and for how long, and whether they need a visa or not. Often there is an element of "tit for tat" where visa requirements are concerned - i.e. one country will require citizens of another country to obtain a visa if the other country requires the same of its own citizens, and even sometimes match the visa fee to that of the other country. One example is that the UK stopped requiring visas of US citizens when the USA stopped demanding that every visitor obtained a US visa. But no country can limit what another country does, and if they want to be different, that's up to them.

    Even between the UK and the USA, it's not quite equal, quite apart from the difference in time allowances. The UK will admit any US citizen to the UK without a visa for up to 6 months, but it doesn't work the same in reverse. There are a large number of conditions that prevent a UK citizen from using the "Visa Waiver Program". To take a personal example, if I go on holiday to the USA with my boyfriend, I get in without a visa, but he has to have one simply because he has HIV.

  • Me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    So you think Americans can just get off a plane, and stay in the UK for 6 months, no questions asked? LOL. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but very few Americans are allowed to stay in the UK for 6 months. It is very suspicious to go on holiday for 6 months at a shot. Many, many Americans are bounced each yr attempting this little maneuver. (been there done that)

    As for the US, even other countries who are able to use the visa waiver system are only allowed 90 days. They can sometimes apply for different visitor visa's. such as a 10 yr visa, which allows for multiple entry. But time spent here can not go over 90 days, unless the visa specifically says so. Nothing personal towards the UK.

    Again it goes back to most people who have strong ties to their country do not go on 3 month long holidays.

    If you do not like the system, then start a campaign to change the UK law for visitor visa's. No one ever said immigration laws were fair.


  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    hi nw108xx regrettably, you broke the regulation via overstaying interior the US. What you need to have performed, become circulate away the rustic interior the ninety days approved and then come back in case you needed, later. Now you're in hardship, your waiver now no longer exist given which you have a three-10 3 hundred and sixty 5 days bar. Going to the British Embassy shouldn't help in any possible way, different than to sign in your son. whilst leaving, you are going to be able to desire to have your passport besides regardless if it is not expired. whether it become expired you may circulate away with it. you might have a secure trip, yet no assure which you might have the potential to return lower back to the US, basically for breaking the regulation. Have a secure trip!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    US law = 90 days

    UK law = 6 months

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Its a pisser at the US....

    The UK government know full well the average American get two week a year vacation time if they are lucky

  • 1 decade ago

    It depends on the admitting officer how much time you are allowed to stay. I was given 6 months and you can apply for extensions providing you can provide evidence that you do not plan to work and that you have enough finances to support your stay.

    Source(s): personal experience
  • 1 decade ago

    well, go ask your prime minister? I'm sure he will invite you over for a breakfast and explain it to you better than i can.

    even that 90 days for free entry to the US is a privilege not a RIGHT

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    cry to your govt. or apply for a US tourist visa/ 6 months.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.