How homophobic is South Africa?

Just curious.. I know that the culture is largely calvinist. at least.. the former 'ruling' class so I suppose despite same-sex marriage, the underlying culture lags far behind its officially accepting surface.

Yes I know that.. but from what I gather and from a friend of mine I know... because so much of the transformation in the culture was shoved through and borne out of an enormous national guilt.. there is still an incredibly reactionary element in the country which is NOT ok with many things, including homosexuality. I think South Africa is a case in which... things changed so quickly... the culture hasn't had time to adapt. At least, this is what I've been told... by some.

Favorite Answer

South Africa has more rights for gay people than America.

As in any country homosexuality is frowned upon by some in South Africa but some Parts of South Africa are so gay friendly like the main cities Cape town, Durban, Pretoria.

There are actually many gay pride events that take place in these cities (google them).

I must point out that in the rural South Africa and places of lower class, there have been a few murders but its not a wide spread thing and people should not just jump to conclusion because its in Africa.

South Africa is not perfect but it is progressing for the better and may i point out to those who might not know this, South Africa is the richest African country, Its in the top 20 richest countries in the world.

So not all in Africa is barbaric and as i pointed out, the gays in South Africa have more rights than those In the Unites states.

• SunTan

South Africa was the first country in Africa to legalise gay marriages! We certainly don't kill gay people like that fool said. Its not some barbaric country where gays are killed... the view on gay people here is largely the same as any other country in the world in the same way that they are discriminated against, etc. It's basically the same...

Source(s): I'M SOUTH AFRICAN

Extremely homophobic, bugger what their laws state!

They have rape gangs which target lesbians.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE52...

Their pathetic excuse is that they rape to 'cure' lesbians! What a load of fecking shite! IMHO, South Africa is a cursed land, full stop. All kinds of inhumane acts on men, women, children and even babies are being committed there. I dont blame people for getting the bloody hell out of that place!

Yeah its homophobic, I've heard from a South African who goes to my school.

He says they kill them all the time.

They are tolerated only in the 'colored' mixed ethnic background and white communities.