Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians would you say that the bible is a metaphysical instructional manual to achieve oneness?

with God? If you achieved oneness with God then wouldn't you be God if you and God were one?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No more than it's a sex manual (based on the Song of Songs/ Song of Solomon) or an instruction manual on how humans can create New Worlds & New Universes -- from Nothing!

However, there *is* that (in the New Testament) which *points* towards achieving that Oneness with God -- to those who are discerning enough to recognize it. (Did *any* Christian who responded, recognize where? Probably you have to be a *non*-Christian to understand! -- for, generally speaking, most Christians are too-indoctrinated into too many theological falsehoods.)

Jesus *is* reported in the canonized New Testament as saying that he and his Heavenly Father are ONE. (John 10:30) So Yeshua clearly attained what many of us call "Cosmic Consciousness" wherein he recognized his own Oneness with the Ultimate all-encompassing Divine Energy of All That Is (he apparently called this Ultimacy "Heavenly Father" for the sake of communicating something they could understand to the people he was teaching; but one of the Gnostic Gospels preserves for us that he *also* spoke of "the Mother of the All"). The Hindu "Brahma and Atman are One" simply would *not* have been understood by a Jewish audience made up of fishermen, women -- hardly educated at *that* time -- etc. -- so Jesus was forced to use a metaphorical language that would be meaningful for *them*.

He taught those who loved him to go to the Holy Spirit (the word for Spirit being *feminine* in Aramaic & Hebrew) -- & that She "will teach you all things" (i *know* it says "he" in all the *false* translations -- & where do we have a genuinely *accurate* translation of this verse, yet?!) (John 14:26.)

Thus the Holy Spirit can most definitely teach *anyone* (who is truly seeking to *learn*) how to achieve Oneness with God -- just as Jesus achieved. But Christians are going to have to have an *authentic* relationship with Her -- & *seek* that Teaching. They don't, generally speaking. They prefer listening to phoney-baloney evangelical preachers & such -- because it's *easier*! Just "trust and obey"!

Now notice that in John 14:12 that Jesus said that "he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do..."

So Jesus is *clearly* saying that anyone who *really* believes in him (rather than only believing in an egoic theological fantasy projection about him that has no real relationship to his *Reality) will *also* achieve Oneness with God just as *he* did (for this *was* one of Jesus's major works).

Finally, in John 14:24 he says, "He who does not love me does not keep my words". So -- those who do *not* achieve Oneness with God are *failing* to keep Jesus's words, fulfilling them in at *least* doing the same work *he* did. Thru this we can recognize that they're loving a fantasy projection, a theological fantasy of belief, rather than loving the Real Christ.

Paul speaks of putting on the "mind of Christ", which, deeply understood, is really just another metaphor for achieving Oneness with God.

But the way in which most Christians *view* God is in an image that is much like that of a middle-eastern *tyrant* (that Old Testament portrayal of YHVH) -- so for them to believe that they *are* God, it only becomes inflated ego-mania, & they enter a state of delusional insanity. So until they mature, spiritually, to realizing that God isn't some ruling Super Ego -- the Largest Ego in all existence (modeled, in large part, after a stern & tyrannical father -- who will punish you & send you to eternal hell for not *obeying*), for them to realize they *are* "God" (in the sense *they* perceive God) would only beget endless egos warring with other egos in "power-over" insanity!

Once one moves *beyond* the canonized gospels, into the likes of Jesus's Further Teachings in "The Gospel According To Thomas" it becomes even *clearer* that Jesus was *definitely* trying to teach his disciples how to become One with God, as *he* was.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I do not use the "kai means 'even'" argument to attempt to prove my Oneness doctrine. I'm not afraid to acknowledge the Biblical distinctions that exist between Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Distinctions, however, do not necessarily equal "persons in the Godhead." God is all-powerful and perfectly capable of maintaining both a human AND a divine existence at the same time. And 1 Corinthians 2:11 destroys the concept of the Holy Spirit being a distinct person from God the Father: "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God" ." Is a man's human spirit a distinct person? You correctly point out that the use of a definite article indicates a distinction between the first noun and the second noun that are separated by "kai." 2 Corinthians 13:14 is correctly translated as "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen." That this distinction is a distinction of "persons in the Godhead" does NOT follow from that rule.

• No. We're neither Hindus nor Buddhists nor New Agers. We're Christians. I'm a Biblical Christian.

Your idea of oneness with god/brahma or whatever that may be is not found in the Bible at all.

The Bible clearly says we CAN NEVER be gods. We will NEVER be able to have all those qualities God has.

Hence, becoming one with God is an invalid theory....

• sadly, the bible is not a manual to find oneness. the only way to achieve oneness with god is by finding it yourself, by looking for it yourself.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

trying to achieve oneness with the bible is trying to achieve oneness with the harry potter book, by saying that i still believe anything is possible.

• 1 decade ago

Yes but unfortunately, like most instruction manuals, it is hastily translated from the Japanese.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's more of a war manual.

• 1 decade ago

Stop making sense, you Gnostic Devil you. Thinking . . . hurts . . . brain . . . Now . . . I'm . . . damned.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. We are Christians, not Buddhists.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure. If you don't believe in God, then don't waste your time here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.