Is it OK for a 12 year old to shoot a real gun?

My husband, who is a former Marine wants to take my 11 year old son (will be 12 on Dec. 1st) to go "shooting" with a bunch of his Marine friends. Also, going will be my 13 year old nephew, and my husband's friends, 13 year old daughter. I am completely, 100% against this and am trying to reason with... show more My husband, who is a former Marine wants to take my 11 year old son (will be 12 on Dec. 1st) to go "shooting" with a bunch of his Marine friends. Also, going will be my 13 year old nephew, and my husband's friends, 13 year old daughter. I am completely, 100% against this and am trying to reason with my husband as to all that is wrong with doing this. I gave in, not too long ago to him getting an airsoft gun (a BB type gun that shoots small, plastic pellets) because my husband grew up with one and thought it would be fine, along with the fact that all the neighborhood kids own them as well. My son is a small kid, barely 80 pounds and I worry about him not being able to control the gun, hurting his ears, and just the visual of my son shooting a gun makes me sick through my core. I am being a paranoid, controlling Mom or am I right in feeling this and taking a firm stand against my husband? Any and all comments are welcome. Thank you.
6 answers 6