Sounds Painful asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Questions about my dog's pregnancy - Please help?

We adopted a dog (a shepherd mix) in May. She was skin-and-bones, and pretty skittish. The animal shelter suggested that we wait a few months to get her nourished and comfortable, before we spayed her.

Two days before her vet's appointment to be spayed, she went into heat, and the vet wouldn't do the surgery (which is understandable), but a large black lab in my neighborhood got ahold of her during her heat. We thought she might be pregnant, but over the next two weeks, she got increasingly more slim, so we stopped worrying about it.

Over the last two weeks, we have noticed that she has been getting incredibly plump, and today I saw that her nipples and her "doggy downstairs" were very, very swollen. She is also peeing a lot. It's been about 5 or 6 weeks since the male dog got to her.

I have owned several dogs, but I've never dealt with a dog pregnancy before, and I am totally in-the-dark about what to do. So here are my questions:

1. How long do dog pregnancies last, and how can I figure out how far along she is?

2. How will I know when she is preparing to give birth?

3. What can I do to make her more comfortable? Is there special nutrition I should be giving her?

Any guidance or suggestions of websites to check out would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

Best Answer

Sounds like she's pregnant. Gestation in a dog is about 63 days. They normally don't start showing signs until the last 3 weeks, so this makes sense with your dog.

Make a quiet place for her to go to and take her there often. Maybe a large sized crate with a blanket in it. She will seek out a quiet place to have her pups. Dogs have a "nesting" instinct.

I would get her started on a great dog food, something like Blue Buffalo or another natural food that is very meaty (check the ingredient list). And, I would use dinovite supplemtn with lickochops. It comes together and works great to increase nutrition. Your momma dog will need a super diet to make enough milk for her pups and to be able to keep up with them,without hurting her own health. Also, pups will benefit from starting on the same quality of diet when it is time.

Dogs normally don't have problems giving birth and many times you dont' even know it until it's at least part way over. Sometimes a puppy from the litter won't make it. Sometimes the mom is not a good mom and you have to "teach" her how to take care of the pups.

Just be ready with towels to dry off pups if needed or to take them out of the sacs they are born in. Usually the mom will do all of that...but you should be prepared. Keep a heating pad on low under the crate at one end so the pups can seek out heat when the mom is not in with them. Make sure the pups don't get chilled, as it can be fatal.

Puppies can be a wonderful experience!

she still has 2-3 weeks left

this is the time to take her in for a prenatal exam

this should include x-ray/sonogram

they can detremine then if she is pregnant

she should be on a puppy food for the extra nuttrition of

carrying and raising pups

if she has been that malnurished the vet may want to add additonal vitamins

a dog carries and average of 63 days give or take a week

if she is pregnannt and doesn't need a c-section adn delivers naturally

the pups and mom should be seen by the vet within 24 -48 hurs ( sooner the best)

this will determine if the pups are eating good

and also to make sure she has passed everything

my vet suggest that the pup and mom should be wormed at 2,4,6,8,10 and 12 weeks

( only get teh wormer at the vets)

the pups should get their first vaccine at 6 weeks old

Source(s): breeder20+ years
  • Laura

I would like to think everyone that is answering is posting an answer they know to be true from what they experienced or researched. I know there have been quite a bit of trolls lately answering against the grain, so to speak. I know I for one have misconstrued my own answer just by a typo or typing so fast leaving out the word "not" as in "do not" but my answer reflected "do" ok (lol). After hitting the submit button, I would re-read my answer and felt like doggy dodo. I would edit my answer, but was told it takes hours to post. I do not know if that is true. I have also made a mistake or two posting an incorrect answer because I was taught or used that procedure in the past. However, times do change and what may have been considered good for your dog today, does not necessarily mean it will be good tomorrow. Then for at least 3 months, the trees and landscaping for my house were being trimmed and what not so I only could have a regular phone line, no cable, high speed, etc., just basic dial up only. OMG every time I hit the submit button only half of my answer was received. What fun that was! So every answer had to first be done in note pad or word, saved, then copy and pasted for my answer. Sometimes even then, it was cut off, but at least I did not have to re-type everything. But yes, for the most part I do not answer questions out of my league. It can harm more than help. But remember, if a person is posting something that is wrong, they usually will not know it to be wrong, unless it is brought to their attention.

2 weeks before she is due she should be changed onto puppy food has this has allot more calories in it! she should have a nice warm quiet place prepared to give birth in with a comfy but flat bed. dogs are pregnant between 63 and 72 days if she has a small litter she will be pregnant longer take her temp rectally every day when it gets below 99.9 she will go into labor within 72 hours. the one thing you must be careful of is if she mated with a dog bigger than her the puppies may be too big for her to push out so if she is in labor too long take her to a vets. if you know the date she tied count 63 days from then if not count 10 weeks from the date she came into heat but bear in mind that will be approximate if she is still under nourished put her on puppy food and plenty of it now! and for 2 weeks after she ust be on puppy food hope this helps.

pregancies last about 60 days. She will start acting very weird and try to find a spot in where to give labor. For ex: my female woke up one morning and she started going into the kitchen and trying to dig through the tile? she went inside the kitchen closet and gave labor 1 hour later. Give her vitamins and deworm her once she gives labor. Email me and i will help as much as possible..

jhernandez026@gmail.com

Source(s): My dog
  • A female dog, correctly referred to as a *****, can only become pregnant if she is bred during her heat cycle. The pregnancy generally lasts about 63 days from the date of the first breeding, although this period may be slightly shorter or longer.

Decreased appetite is usually one of the earliest signs that your ***** might be pregnant. Not all females go through this doggie version of "morning sickness", but a small percentage will eat less during the first few weeks of gestation, usually making up for it later in the pregnancy.

A sudden decrease in activity can indicate that your ***** is pregnant. Just like some women, canines may also experience feelings of exhaustion as their hormone levels change to support embryo production.

Nipple growth is a good indicator that your *****'s body is going through pregnancy changes. The nipples of an unbred female are usually quite small, and the area immediately beneath them will feel flat. However, once a pregnancy is in progress, breast material will develop beneath the nipples, which will also increase slightly in preparation for eventual milk production.

Behavioral changes may also be noticed, with either an increase in affectionate behavior or an expressed desire to be left alone.

An increase in appetite is usually noted about three to four weeks into the pregnancy and is especially noticeable if your female slacked off her food after her heat cycle ended.

Weight gain should be noticeable by one month into the pregnancy. The *****'s abdomen will thicken, and gentle examination of the belly will reveal a firm, rather than fat feeling to the area.

A definite increase in abdomen size will be hard to miss if your ***** is carrying the average size litter for her breed. However, if there are only one or two pups, the abdomen may seem only slightly increased but still be firmer than her pre-pregnancy condition. A lot depends on the size/breed of the dog involved. Larger dogs have more room to carry pups, and if the litter is small, they won't show as much. Smaller breeds usually show more since they don't have as large an area to house the pups, and some small breeds' abdomens will literally drag the ground near the end of the pregnancy.

Puppy movement can be felt and seen during the last weeks of pregnancy, with a definite increase in movement a few days before delivery as the pups get into position for birth.

Milk production begins in earnest and colostrum, the first milk, can be gently expressed from the nipples, sometimes leaking a bit on its own as the time for delivery draws near.

Nesting behavior is usually displayed by a ***** in the 24-48 hours proceeding delivery, although some females begin a little sooner. You'll notice a general restlessness, and she will likely prepare the area where she intends to deliver the pups by scrunching up blankets, newspapers and such.

If you haven't provided your ***** with a suitable whelping box, you're likely going to suffer some household damage, as she may decide your bed or couch cushion seems like the perfect place, and tear it up accordingly. If this happens, blame yourself, but don't punish your ***** for this perfectly normal behavior. She is simply operating on instinct.

A temperature drop down to 97-99 degrees Fahrenheit and held for two readings taken twelve hours apart signals impending delivery within the next 24 hours.

A normal dog temperature hovers around 101-102 degrees Fahrenheit, so if you begin taking your *****'s temperature daily from about 58 days gestation, you will be able to establish her normal temperature, as well as when the drop takes place.

Rather than depend on your own observations, your veterinarian can easily help you determine if your ***** is pregnant.

Palpating (feeling) the uterus around the 28th day after a planned breeding or end of a heat cycle will reveal a slight thickening of the uterus, as well as small pea-sized lumps that are actually embryos. Some breeders have also learned to palpate safely, but generally speaking, it's better to leave this to your vet to avoid damaging the pups.

An ultrasound will also reveal pregnancy.

Sometimes a ***** will display general signs of dog pregnancy without actually being pregnant. This will happen as she comes off a heat cycle, and it doesn't seem to matter whether or not there was any breeding activity. Rather, it seems to be brought on psychologically, and the symptoms usually subside within about a month.

Your ***** may also decide to "adopt" some babies to fill the void during this time. This may be puppies from another litter on the premises, or she may substitute objects such as toys or stuffed animals. Borrowing puppies from another ***** can lead a potentially dangerous situation and calls for your intervention; however, if she is only playing mom with toys, give her time to come to terms with the situation on her own before removing the items, then try to get her focused on other activities.

Source(s): I breed dogs
  • CF_

your vet could have spayed her when she was pregnant.. or given her a pill to take her out of heat..

anyhow.. here is a link about carring for dogs who are giving birth..

http://gomestic.com/pets/helping-whelping/

you are feeding her puppy food right???

What kind of a moron vet do you have? All vets can spay during the dog's heat/season, it just cost a bit more. Have her aborted/spayed. 2 million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year because of irresponsible dog owners.