Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

My son is almost 3 months and never stops crying.?

My son will be 3 months old on the 24th and he is always crying. He's not too cold or too hot. I always make sure he is properly fed and changed. I give him attention. There's no fever. But no matter what, if I put him down he CRIES non-stop. I thought possibly colic, but at the same time... i'm not sure because most colic babies are said to be colic due to gas pains and I know gas pains aren't the issue. I can hardly clean the house because he cries non-stop; most newborns cry themselves to sleep but not him. Normally, what I try to do is feed him laying down until he falls asleep, then I move away. On rare occasions this works. But, most of the time his little psychic brain knows, and wakes up and starts balling his eyes out. I don't want to hold him all the time, because then I know later in life it will be hard to break him from it. I tried a pacifier but he keeps knocking it out of his mouth every 15 seconds and in order to get things done I can't sit there and keep putting it back in. Another tactic I have tried are those child vibrating bouncers and swings but those don't really work either. Most of the time it seems like the only thing that soothes him down is sucking or eating, but I also don't want to feed him just to keep him quiet. Then there are even times that when I feed him, he sucks a bit, then delatches to whine a bit then sucks some more and continues this in a repetative matter. I'm a breastfeeding mom so I'm the only one who can attend to his needs, and since birth we have tried to put him in his crib, but he's always been like this. As soon as I lay him down he wakes up; this caused me to have to sleep with him. About 2-3 weeks ago me and my husband tried to put him in his crib and see if anything has changed and he cried for a good 2+ hours before I went in there to get him because my husband had work early in the morning. This is not the first occasion that he has cried for that long, there has been many more. Having him be alone for a moment is impossible let alone sleeping in his own bed. There is so much more but its so often, that it's all just a blur now and I'm starting to get really stressed out. Is there anything out there that you guys can think of to help me out or possibly know what's wrong with him? Thank You all so much!

Favorite Answer

I have worked with 50+ infants, and I am a mom myself. I would definitely check into colic! See your pediatrician about that. Typically if a baby cries for more than two hours at a time, this is a sign of colic. Also, when my baby was three months, I was feeding her every two to two and a half hours. And since she took 45 minutes to eat, it was really only a one hour break for me. I did not have much time to clean either, and I had to learn that it was okay for now. In a couple of months you'll have a routine down, but give yourself a break. At one point I nannied for three children -- there ages were three, one, and a newborn. That was easier that taking care of my own daughter since I had sleep when I was a nanny. It's amazing what lack of sleep does to us!

My friend's daughter cried all the time too, and later they learned that she had a sensory issue. Hindsight, my friend realizes that her daughter was probably crying because she was bundled and wearing socks. This is just to illustrate that you may not figure out why your baby is crying. However, rule out that your baby is getting enough to eat and doesn't have colic from your doctor. Also, a great book is "The Moms on Call Guide to Basic Baby Care." It is written by two pediatric nurses, and it is so helpful. I had my daughter trained to fall asleep by herself at three days old. Here's a link from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Moms-Call-Guide-Basic-Baby/d...

Best of luck!

This sounds a lot like my son....we found out he had acid reflux, so every time we would lay him down he'd cry because it hurt him!!

You can do the car seat test.....if he sleeps better in a car seat then its probably reflux

It could be colic or reflux either or sleeping sitting up helps.

We bought something called a nap nanny when our son was 1 1/2 weeks old and he went from no sleep to sleeping 6 hours the first night......he now sleeps 8-9hours straight at night.

Good Luck with your baby!

First of all you can't spoil a 2 month old by holding him too much. That doesn't help you though, does it?

Second, do you have ANYONE who can play baby-holder for a couple hours to give you a break? You really need a nap.

Third, discuss acid reflux with your baby's doctor.

When you burp him do you put him high on your shoulder so his tummy is touching your shoulder? This sometimes helps.

Im guessing from how you said you are feeding him that you are breastfeeding him? Breast or formula fed babies can react poorly to dairy used in formula or ingested by Mom, your doctor can check for this as well.

You shouldnt be letting him cry for 2+ hours though, he will get too hungry and have a harder time eating.

On our fussy days(we have many) I use a baby wrap called Moby. It tucks my baby nice and close to me and she just goes to sleep until she wakes up hungry hours later or until I remove her... sometimes, other times she stays asleep.

Good luck, it will get easier.

We have exactly the same problem in all the same areas with our son. He is now 7 months and none of the solutions mentioned, colic, teething etc have cured the problem. I know that doesn't solve your problem but at least you know your not alone! If you do find any solution I'd love to know what it is so I can start sleeping again!

He may not be getting enough milk out of your nipple at once. Do you pump? If you pump and then put the breastmilk into a bottle with a faster flowing nipple, maybe he will get more milk at once. Also, I know if you're breastfeeding you need to be careful what you eat, because it gets in the milk. Are you eating spicy foods? Eat really plain food with not a lot of spice and maybe this will help him. I know it sounds weird, but just try it =)

He's TEETHING!!! Buy some teething rings, freeze the rings and then give him one to chew on. Also, buy some baby orajel and rub on his gums.

It sounds like collic to me....if you are worried about it, take him to a doctors appt. they should be able to help alittle better.