Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why is solar energy still so expensive?

• bwlobo
    Favorite Answer

The best I can tell, there would be about a $25,000 cost to install 100 sq ft. of solar panels on my southerly facing rooftop. If I consider that the system has an economic life of at least 25 years, then the math is pretty simple. It will cost me about $1000/ year to own the solar panel system. I can expect a 40-60% reduction in my electric bill which runs me about an average of $700/month since my husband starts to sweat at 70 degrees. Conservatively then, I should save a minimum of $280/month and I begin saving money after about month four which is also about the same time as my Tax Freedom Day!

Because Sen.Diane Feinstein, D-CA, has long been an advocate of solar energy research, but when a company came up with a whole new technology as to how to collect and store the energy recently, she forbade them to put their panels up in the Mojave Desert, asserting that it would destroy the aesthetics of the landscape.

So which is she? An environmentalist or a solar energy supporter? Her waffling on it is one good reason why it is still so expensive.

Because morons will pay a lot for free stuff. When I was young solar power was free. I'm not shure, You are talking about the sun, right.

it's expensive because they know that people want to switch to solar power and they want to make a lot of money

Because the technology used to make the cells isn't that good. As the technology improves then th price will drop.

• barry

the technology is not as well devloped and widely used to lower costs at the moment. its also not as pratical to use in most places of the world.

Because it's impractical and hardly reliable. It's good for a single home, but nothing bigger

sun hugger

It ain't good.