Where did the phrase “There are demons shouting down the better angels in my brain” come from?

Favorite Answer

The quote came from "The West Wing" in its episode "The Crackpots and These Women"

BARTLET: Did you mean what you said about my demons shouting down the angels in my brain?

TOBY: Yes sir, I did.

BARTLET: Do you think that is what's stopping me from greatness?

TOBY: Yes I do. But I'll tell you what sir, in a battle between a president's demons and his better angels, I think for the first time in a long while, we may just have ourselves a fair fight.

BARTLET: Thank you Toby, now go away.

It was inspired by President Lincoln, as paraphrased by "The West wing". Here is the original quote

" I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."