Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Could Chicago Support 2 NHL TEAMS?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Population-wise yes. If a second team had the financial backing, then yes. But the Hawks weren't supported until a couple of years ago when they got the young players and improved their game. They support 2 baseball teams so it can work, but I think it's more of a baseball town than a hockey town so I just don't see 2 hockey teams getting the fan support. And what's with your avatar and your name? You created an account today just so stick it to Canadians? Very mature, you're sure to make a lot of friends.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • If they were both successful......yes.

The money is there, the population is there....but the fans are more fairweather than most places.

Having lived in the city for 30+ years (working for the Hawks) I can honestly say that hockey is big at all levels. The Blackhawks made money off of 12,000 fans a game....and that was with sponsors dropping like flies.

One of the things that needs to be taken into consideration, and we see on this board from a Toronto perspective, is that there are a lot of hockey fans in Chicago who are disengaged from the sport due to the Wirtz family's historical treatment/attitude towards the fan. A lot of people in Chicagoland feel the same way about the Wirtzes as fans in the GTA feel about the OTPP.

The Chicago Wolves have been very successful on the balance sheet and are a model minor league franchise, and Chicago has one of the best minor hockey systems in North America with teams from Chicago regularly winning major tournaments in North America (including twice winning the prestigious Quebec Carnival International Peewee tournament).

People forget (or Canadians are unaware) that the Chicagoland area is TWICE the population of the GTA, with a higher per capita income (and if people in Toronto want to include the 500,000 people in Hamilton, Chicagoland will claim the 1.5MM people in Milwaukee).

The team has supported 2 major league baseball clubs for over 100 years, supported 2 NFL teams for 30+ years (the Arizona Cardinals started life in Chicago), and could easily support a second one today, as well as a second NBA and NHL team

• 1 decade ago

No. Chicago fans are extremely loyal to their teams. It's true that hockey is not as big as some of the other sports in Chicago. There are a lot of bandwagon fans lately because we're playing much better than we did a few years ago. Plus we already have the Wolves. So really the question should be can Chicago support 3 hockey teams? The answer is no.

And seriously, you need to think about changing your avatar.

Source(s): www.hockey-goalsource.com/index.php?cPath=1
  • wilde
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

those are 2 communities. And why shrink your self to those communities? by way of fact they're good? yet once I had to circulate with between those 2 communities, i might lots extremely bypass with purple Wings over Blackhawks, in elementary terms by way of fact of my grudge against the Hawks. you will possibly desire to attempt rooting for a set that doesn't get lots media interest, yet nonetheless makes waves. you additionally can seem into the Caps in case you go with to. they're extraordinarily good. different communities that are making waves yet human beings are not paying interest to: Calgary Flames, San Jose Sharks, l. a. Kings, Vancouver Canucks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Tampa Bay Lightning, or maybe the Flyers. on your questions... a million. once you ask somebody for a pair NHL communities, there are 3 communities which will many times pop actual into their head immediately. The Montreal Canadiens (greater effective everyday by way of fact the Habs), the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Detroit purple Wings. so your answer is the purple Wings. 2. maximum individuals in Detroit have little money and/or no jobs. they are in a position to't discover the money for to bypass to them. 3. it extremely is extraordinarily risk-free once you're interior the stadium, when you consider that some madman won't come attempting to kill you in a public place with over 10k human beings there. yet after the sport ends around 10 P.M. and your inn is approximately 3 or 4 long blocks away, i might probably take lots of warning.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think so. It's in an area cold enough where people could play ice hockey outdoors in the winter, it's a huge city, and it supports two baseball teams. I say give them the Islanders.

• 1 decade ago

y? it would Just create pointless division in the unity of hockey fans throughout chicago. It could maybe, but no one would support it. we all love our hawks too much.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Absolutely. I've always thought that would also be a good place to move franchises like Atlanta and Phoenix.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No

• definately not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.