Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

What big events happened in the year you were born ?

BQ: Who was President ?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Makwa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

January 14 – George C. Wallace becomes governor of Alabama. In his inaugural speech, he defiantly proclaims "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever!"[1][2]

January 28 – African American student Harvey Gantt enters Clemson University in South Carolina, the last U.S. state to hold out against racial integration.

February 8 – Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy Administration.

March 5 – In Camden, Tennessee, country music superstar Patsy Cline (Virginia Patterson Hensley) is killed in a plane crash along with fellow performers Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and Cline's manager and pilot Randy Hughes, while returning from a benefit performance in Kansas City, Kansas for country radio disc jockey "Cactus" Jack Call.

March 18 – Gideon v. Wainwright: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that the poor must have lawyers.

March 21 – The Alcatraz Island federal penitentiary in San Francisco Bay closes; the last 27 prisoners are transferred elsewhere at the order of Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.

March 22 – The Beatles release their first album Please Please Me.

April 12 – Martin Luther King, Jr., Ralph Abernathy, Fred Shuttlesworth and others are arrested in a Birmingham protest for "parading without a permit".

April 15 – 70,000 marchers arrive in London from Aldermaston, to demonstrate against nuclear weapons.

April 16 – Martin Luther King, Jr. issues his Letter from Birmingham Jail.

April 20 – In Quebec, Canada, members of the terrorist group Front de libération du Québec, bomb a Canadian Army recruitment center, killing night watchman Wilfred V. O'Neill.

April 22 – Lester Bowles Pearson becomes the 14th Prime Minister of Canada.

April 29- Buddy Rogers becomes the first WWF Champion.

May 1 – The Coca-Cola Company debuts its first diet drink, TaB cola.

May 2 – Thousands of African Americans, many of them children, are arrested while protesting segregation in Birmingham, Alabama. Public Safety Commissioner Eugene "Bull" Connor later unleashes fire hoses and police dogs on the demonstrators.

May 15 – Mercury program: NASA launches Gordon Cooper on Mercury 9, the last mission (on ).

May 27 – The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is singer-songwriter Bob Dylan's second studio album, and most influential, released by Columbia Records.

June 3 – Pope John XXIII dies.

June 11 – Alabama Governor George C. Wallace stands in the door of the University of Alabama to protest against integration, before stepping aside and allowing African Americans James Hood and Vivian Malone to enroll.

June 11 – President John F. Kennedy delivered a historic Civil Rights Address, in which he promises a Civil Rights Bill, and asks for "the kind of equality of treatment that we would want for ourselves."

June 17 – Abington School District v. Schempp: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that state-mandated Bible reading in public schools is unconstitutional.

June 22 – The Beatles played at the Borough Theatre in Abergavenny.

July 1 – ZIP Codes are introduced in the U.S.

August 28 – Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his I Have A Dream speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to an audience of at least 250,000, during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.

September – Marvel Comics releases the first ever X-Men comic book

October 8 – Sam Cooke and his band were arrested after trying to register at a "whites only" motel in Louisiana. In the months following, he records A Change Is Gonna Come (song).

November 10 – Malcolm X makes a historic speech in Detroit, Michigan: Message to the Grass Roots

Nov.22: Lyndon Baines Johnson is sworn in as U.S. President after assassination of John F. Kennedy.

November 22 – The Beatles' second U.K. album, With The Beatles, is released

November 22 – John F. Kennedy assassination: In Dallas, Texas, United States President John F. Kennedy is shot to death, Texas Governor John B. Connally is seriously wounded, and Vice President Lyndon Baines Johnson becomes the 36th President. All television coverage for the next three days is devoted to the assassination, its aftermath, the procession of the horsedrawn casket to the Capitol Rotunda, and the funeral of President Kennedy. Stores and businesses shut down for the entire weekend and Monday, in tribute.

November 24 – Lee Harvey Oswald, alleged assassin of John F. Kennedy, is shot dead by Jack Ruby in Dallas, Texas on live national television. Later that night, a hastily arranged program, A Tribute to John F. Kennedy from the Arts, featuring actors, opera singers, and noted writers, all performing dramatic readings and/or music, is telecast on ABC-TV.

November 24 – Vietnam War: New U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson confirms that the United States intends to continue supporting South Vietnam militarily and economically.

November 25 – U.S. President Kennedy is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Schools around the natio

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

David Mays won the Pulitzer prize for his biography of Edmund Pendelton.

Ben Hogan won the U.S. Open (283), Sam Snead was runner up with 289 at Oakmont CC, PA.

Jay Hanna (Dizzy) Dean was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

John Lattner, Notre Dame, won the Heisman Trophy.

New York Yankees beat Brooklyn Dodgers in the World Series

Frits Zernike, Netherlands, won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Hank William, Sr. died in the back of his chauffeured car on his way to a performance in Canton, Ohio.

'The Crucible' and 'Wonderful Town' won the Tony Awards.

Joseph Stalin died.

Dwight Eisenhower was sworn in as U.S. President.

• Leisha
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

On the day of my birth, Ian... (someone) tried to kidnap Princess Anne and Mark Phillips outside Buckingham palace, but failed. I think they used it as part of a story in a Harrison Ford film. Other things are- Launches of rockets/satelittes every other month, and Abba became famous at the same time as the Ramones! But the biggest was the Watergate scandal. But the thing I love is some japanese WW2 pilot in hiding surrendered!

• 1 decade ago

http://www.academickids.com/encyclopedia/1/19/1935...

BQ: President Franklin D. Roosevelt(D)

:-)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Persian Gulf War. East and West Germany united.

BA: George Bush Sr.

• 1 decade ago

Eisenhower was president

Stalin died

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for spying.

Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay become the first men to reach the summit of Mount Everest

Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

The Kinsey Report on American sexual habits is issued.

Hugh Hefner publishes the first issue of Playboy Magazine; it sells 54,175 copies at $.50 each.

• Dena
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Poca, you're wanting me to confess to how old I am! The year was 1951 and Dwight D. Eishenhower was President and Cleve Indian Bobby Avila hits 3 HRs, double & single vs Red Sox.

• 1 decade ago

George Orwell wrote a book about the year and I think that Reagan was the president

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My Mother left my Dad and I to live with an American Soldier.

President Franklin.D.Roosevelt.

• 1 decade ago

the soviet union collapsed & the president was george bush senior.

year ; 1991.

• 1 decade ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993

Just read that.

It was Bill Clinton.

I remember being asked once who my president was and I didn't know.

I only remember George W. Bush and up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.