Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

i am LPR and entered US with immigrant visa, still waiting for my actual green card,can i travel and re-enter?

do i need actual green card or i can re-enter with the immigrant visa in my passport? im going away for less than 1 year

• Fred S
    Favorite Answer

If you entered with an immigrant visa, the visa sticker should still be in your passport, and next to the visa sticker should be an admission stamp. The two in combination make up your temporary evidence of LPR status.

There should be an annotation on the visa saying that it's temporary evidence of LPR status. You can use the combinaiton of the visa sticker and the admission stamp to travel.

You can (technically) but you need to be sure your passport has a stamp in it called the i-551 stamp. It is a provisional residency that will entertain all your residency needs (work, travel and living in the USA) until your Green Card is printed out and actually mailed to you. Can you travel with it? Yes you may. Never stay outside the USA for more than 5.5 months whenever you have to leave.

If you don't have your green card, or an I-551 Stamp in your passport, you need to file an I-131 with USCIS....

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5a...

Apply for an Advance Parole (File from I-131) with USCIS.