Does clearing the history really delete everything?
On internet explorer if I go to tools>Internet Options> Delete history will it show up anywhere, if so is there a better way to do this?
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to thoroughly remove all of the browsing history from your hard drive using Internet Explorer without special software. While the method you described will generally remove anything secret from general view, the files will remain on your hard drive in a deleted but not "gone entirely" form until they are over-written.
Firefox is a slightly more reliable browser when it comes to eradicating your history for good, but nothing is really fail-safe.
The following steps will allow you to manually remove some of your browsing history information, but there will still be many traces of your browsing history which professionals could quickly locate.
In Internet Explorer, follow these steps to erase your browsing history from the "history" window.
1. Make the following sequence of menu choices:
Tools -> Options -> Internet Options -> General
2. Click "Delete Files," then "OK."
3. Click "Delete Cookies," then "OK."
4. Click "Clear History," then "Yes."
Internet Explorer may also remember your form entries for you, which can result in past searches appearing in a drop-down box when typing in search keywords on your favorite search engine or similar. To erase this information, follow this sequence of menu choices:
Tools -> Internet Options -> Content -> AutoComplete -> Clear Forms
You can also clear the "Forms" checkbox to prevent the program from trying to recall your form selections for you in the future.
It might also be a good idea to check that your temporary internet file has been cleared as follows:
1. Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
3. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.
5. Click OK.Source(s): http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/privacy/history.html http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897
- 1 decade ago
Well Cleaning The History Wouldn't Delete Everything It Will Delete All The The Sites You Went On It Would Not Remember What Sites You Went On Before ?
- 1 decade ago
People below 18 are not allowed on porn sites. =)
Nothing can truly ever be deleted from a computer. at least not by doing that.
But that is a good way to remove the entries from the Tree Name System and it will be pretty hard to find that data after but it is possible.
But i doubt your parents will have the knowledge on how to recover that. =)
Make sure you also delete cache by putting a check in the box for it before you click delete.Source(s): My work field is Telecommunications. That was one of the basic things we had to learn.