What is the best type of a hand gun for an 18 year old female in IL.?

After I get my gun permit/license...

That is around sexual predators.

Drug and gang violence (not so much but its seen )

Guys that come up to you at stoplights and try and rob you, that happened a few months ago and all i had to defend my self was a knife.

In IL you only have to be 18, I already looked it up.

And yes you can carry them with you unloaded and in a case.

Favorite Answer

I'll let you worry about the IL gun control laws. It's not a gun friendly state, to say the least, but you already know that. About which hand gun:

That is not a simple question and there is no simple answer. A personal firearm is a very personal item indeed. It has to fit in with your lifestyle, your clothing, your physical build, your local laws and its intended use. There is no one best answer for everyone.

My advice is to treat this as you would any major purchase. Do your homework. Research what's available. After you've done that, go to a shooting range that rents guns (probably an indoor range) and try out the ones you think might work for you to see what fits you best. Keep in mind that the fact that someone is standing behind the counter at a gun store does not necessarily mean they know anything about guns or their use. Some of them will be very knowledgeable and helpful. A few will cheerfully spout utter nonsense. All of them are salespersons. That's one reason you have to do your homework.

That said, here's some guidelines:

Stay away from off brands and cheap junk. If you're a beginner, buy new from a reputable dealer. A good quality firearm, properly maintained and cared for, will last a lifetime, so amortize the price over a few decades to reduce sticker shock. Remember, you're going to bet your life on this gun. The middle of a gun fight is a bad place to realize you should have spent the extra hundred dollars or so.

The minimum defensive caliber for semiautomatics is 9x19mm, aka 9mm Parabellum, aka 9mm Luger, aka 9mm NATO. (If you have a physical limitation that makes 9x19mm too much to handle, 9x17mm, aka .380, may have to do, but certainly nothing less.) The minimum for revolvers is .38 Special. Anything over .45 ACP for semiautos or .357 Magnum for revolvers will likely overpenetrate the target, wasting some of its energy and endangering who or what is beyond, so they're not recommended.

These days I recommend against revolvers for defensive purposes. Their capacity is too restricted and they're too slow to reload. It's true that revolvers have fewer stoppage modes than semiautos. However, most semiauto stoppages can be cleared in a matter of seconds with a little training. When a revolver jams, it's out of the fight and may require a gunsmith to get it going again.

When in doubt, you generally won't go far wrong with a Glock, but some people just don't like them. Nearly all ranges that rent guns rent Glocks, so it's easy to find out if you get along with them.

Tritium night sights are worth the extra expense. Most other bells and whistles aren't.

Re: Accessories:

Yes, you're going to need some.

You need eye and ear protection for practice at the range. A baseball style cap is also recommended.

You need a safe, secure place to store your gun when necessary. There are many options for quick access lock boxes and gun safes. (Caution: Guns left alone in safes have been known to breed and multiply.) Beware of trigger locks. They are accidents waiting to happen and do nothing to prevent theft. There are few things more embarrassing than going to your local police station to report a stolen gun. One of those things is coming home to find someone pointing your gun at you.

You need a cleaning kit. There are many on the market and they all pretty much work. Follow the instructions that come with them for gun cleaning and maintenance.

You'll need a holster. Sooner or later, there will come a time when you want to have your gun with you for a while. The middle of a riot or natural disaster is a bad time to go shopping for holsters.

A holster should be designed to fit your make and model of gun. Its mouth should be stiff enough to remain open when the gun is drawn in order to facilitate safe reholstering. It needs to hold the gun and itself firmly in place, so it will be where you expect it to be when you reach for it. Military style cover flaps are counterproductive. Thumb break straps will slow you down. A good quality concealed carry rig can cost $50-100. A simple Kydex or other plastic paddle holster will be much less, but won't be as stealthy.

For semiautos, you'll need a spare magazine carrier or two. The doubles are often uncomfortable to wear and some point one magazine in the wrong direction. For revolvers, you need speed loaders and carriers for them.

Above all, get training in safe gun handling and defensive use of firearms. That is absolutely critical. Without training, you're kidding yourself and endangering those around you. Don't let it slide.

Source(s): I'm a professional defensive firearms instructor.

You should really think about this before you go and do it. We all have urges and unless we learn to curb them we will never have any self control. It is wonderful to have fantasies, but not all fantasies have to come true. Make sure about what you want before you do it. If you feel that you can not and you must then do so, but remember that experimentation is normal and don't judge yourself. But you really shouldn't look for someone online, it is dangerous out in the cyber world and nothing is as it appears, you are young and vulnerable. Be more careful in the future. This is not a dating site per se, but a forum for answering questions. Hopefully you will find out where your sexuality lies. Good luck

• KC

Its hard to say without seeing you. I was a fan of my friends warthog think it was a 40. Don't let someone talk you into a 22. Its a waste.

Get an automatic:

1) First and far most, it has a safety.

2) Revolvers are much harder for most females to squeeze the trigger. In the instance you explained about the stoplight your reaction time mixed with the extra effort to pull the trigger of a revolver will get you killed.

I also agree with the people that said 9mm are good.

If this is for carrying concealed, check on the Springfield Arms xD line CCW. Actually, any line that offers a small CCW version would be good. A big ol' 1911 .45, not so much. Although, if you pulled it on someone trying to rob you, I am sure they will leave a nice sized DNA sample on the ground.

You can't carry a handgun in Illinois. Not unless they changed the law on that in the last 6 months. If you can a Sig Sauer P226 is a good gun,that's what I carry.

I suggest a 9mm, for the sake that

Cheap to shoot

low recoil

cheap guns

and they have GOOD STOPPING POWER IF you use hot loaded Hollowpoints

But if you want more power try a .40 Glocks are reliable, and cheap, maybe a Sig

• Bethy

Kel Tec p11

11 rounds

9mm

Only weighs 20 ozs loaded is very concealable

As long as you dont mind a little slide bite its an excellent gun

A 22 revolver. It's small easy to carry and aim, and a bullet will travel around the targets body like a firecracker breaking bones and tissue but probably not killing. Just enough power to get them to stop.

Please take a course in firearms safety first. You don't want to freeze up and become a victim. And don't forget a concealed weapons permit. Might also try pepper spray.

Source(s): i own 1

To carry I would get a snub nose .38 Hammer-less.

They are VERY dependable simple to operate (squeeze trigger...Bang) concealable and quick to handle.

Remember you don't need to reach out 50 yards you just want to get the guy out of your car window

Ruger now makes one that is on a titanium frame very light and compact and Ruger makes a fine weapon.

Source(s): jimporsc.....Sorry hon you are wrong. I live in Mi. and have a CCW and Il. recognizes our CCW so I carry when I visit family there all the time.

im missouri you have to be 21 to own a pistol and 18 for a rifle

idk about IL. but let me recommend a revolver. u only got 6 rounds.

but you dont have to worry about the shells ejecting cuz they stay in the gun. wich helps if you dont want anyone (cops) to find your empty shells on the ground..