promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Did Gene Kranz say "Work the problem" during the real life Apollo 13 mission?

His character says it in the movie, but was "Work the problem" really something he said in real life?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably not. "Working a problem" was a current NASA expression at the time, so anybody could have said it. A nice account can be found here: http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/space-flight/ap...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

In the book "Lost Moon" (now retitled "Apollo 13") by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger, Kranz is quoted on page 86 as saying, "Let's work the problem," but not during the Apollo 13 mission, just during a simulation in Mission Control. In the movie, Kranz's line is, "Let's stay cool, people. Procedures, I need another computer up in the RTCC [Real Time Computer Complex]. I want everybody to alert your support teams. Wake up anybody you need, get them in here. Let's work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing!" In the book, Kranz is quoted on page 103 as saying (shortly after the explosion), "Let's everybody keep cool. Let's make sure we don't do anything that's going to blow our electrical power or cause us to lose fuel cell number two. Let's solve the problem, but let's not make it any worse by guessing." So the line in the movie might not be an exact transcription of what he said during the real mission, but it's pretty close.

BTW, if you're interested in learning more about Gene Kranz and his NASA career, his memoir "Failure Is Not An Option" is excellent.

• berti
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Work The Problem

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet with their financial resources. Then I'd just call Ocean's 11.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes it was. He did indeed say 'let's work the problem and not make things worse by guessing' during the accident. He never said 'failure is not an option', however.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.