promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Trying to figure out why light switch isn't working?

I recently painted my room and while doing so replaced a cracked outlet. Before I replaced it one of the plugs on the outlet was controlled by a switch which I used for a light. After replacing the outlet there is power from it and everything but now the switch won't control anything! I rehooked the wires just as they were before but no dice. Do i need a special outlet fot the switch to control one of them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • gk
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to "split" the outlet...

on the black side of the outlet .. there is a little bar connecting between the two screws. take some needle nose plyers and break the bar out... re-wire as is and it will work fine.

Source(s): been there done that. teaching degree in industrial arts work at Home Depot
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You should have two black wires in the outlet box. Shut off power and look at side of outlet there is a small metal tab that needs to be removed. Now wire one black wire to each gold screw. The light switch will now control one and one will always be hot.

Mark

Source(s): Owner/operator of a home repair business
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have to cut the jumper in between the 2 outlets on the dual receptacle

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you should take it all apart and make sure the weirs are on the right spots!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You rewired it wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.