Charlie asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Some don't want their taxes to pay for abortions?

Fine. Why not have a check box on Form 1040 "Do you want $5 of your taxes to go for providing the full range of reproductive services to women who purchase public insurance or receive public assistance to purchase insurance through the exchange."

That way only those of who support reproductive freedom will pay for it. Problem solved.

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

NO! That is not the answer. We do not get to pick where our taxes go for a reason. Our government works based on the idea that our laws are for everyone. Our defense budget covers everyone. Our money that they spend is for our community as a whole, or they wouldn't get enough money for certain programs. It wouldn't work if we got to pick where our taxes went. Heck, if that were the case, then they might as well just ask us how much we want to donate for all this stuff. As long as it is legal to get an abortion, your tax dollars are going to go toward it. And that is completely fair. You don't like it, go somewhere else.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No, not 'problem solved'.

Abortion benefits society as a whole so should be paid for by society as a whole. Any government funding will never please everyone and you can't have everyone just paying for what they personally agree with. I don't support paying for politicians' bloated pay cheques or funding a war I don't agree with, but I do it anyway. You don't have to agree with abortion funding, but if your country has public health care insurance, you will be funding it, like it or not.

Reasons why abortion should be covered under a public health insurance plan:

1. Abortion is a health care procedure so it should naturally be covered under health care insurance.

2. Abortion needs to be accessible to low-income individuals who may not be able to pay out of pocket for an abortion.

3. Abortion coverage under public health care actually saves the government money as the relative cost to provide abortions is a mere fraction of the cost to pay for the pregnancies to be continued and to pay for the children to the age of 18.

4. The expense of an abortion can prevent someone who has no business being a parent from attaining one. I would much rather that children not come into any situation that is not the best for them.

5. The time it can take for an individual to finance an abortion may push their abortion procedure to a later stage of pregnancy when the procedure is more invasive, costs more and includes greater risks and complications.

6. Abortion needs to be attainable by minors who often don't have the means to fund the procedure.

7. Abortion benefits society as a whole through cutting crime rates and cutting the amount of funding required by government and social programs.

• Hunter3 years agoReport

We should not have to pay our money to kill babies.

• 1 decade ago

because it's not like the fatcats don't take our tax money for all kinds of other things you do not support, why care so much if woman get the choice of abortion?

Anyway, we do not get to choose what our tax money will go to, we look at our politicians and what they support and choose to elect them to make our decisions for us. Basically you choose the lesser of two evils(or more depending) and hope that they don't anally rape us too hard.

additionally all the people who feel we should decide exactly where our tax dollars end up percentage wise, there is no way it will be spread around properly and I'm sure looking at the "big picture" many things the government funds that actually help us will never make it. (although too much goes to fatcats who don't deserve it, there is no way it will work if we individually choose where it goes).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dumb idea.

The "elective" abortion part is the problem. Nobody, on an individual basis, "elects" to go to war, or fund any other public policy.

The more linear equation would be to mark a box for boob jobs, nose jobs, or male enhancement surgical procedures. It's legal to go to a prositute in Nevada, too, but no one has yet suggested a state tax deduction for getting a "tug" @ the local cathouse, either.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Sure. How about another check box for my tax $$ not paying for a war, I am against.

• 1 decade ago

NOPE.....if you want to pay for someone to have an abortion...go to a clinic and offer to pay...other than that KEEP THE GOV. MONEY AND INVOLVEMENT out of that murder arena.

Instead of Reproductive Services...how about calling it what it truely is...."Capital Punishment of an Innocent Child" so a low life can avoid responsibility....because that is what it is in 98% of the cases

• Hunter3 years agoReport

I agree with you completely!

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No because that money would still come from the whole. To call abortion "reproductive services" is kind of funny though since it is quite the opposite..

Here's an idea, those that feel so strongly about funding abortion get together and start a charitable fund to pay for them. Sorry, I forgot that the left only likes to spend other people's money, not their own..

• Bethy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Some are morally opposed to the practice and just do not want to see it occur at all

Could you imagine if your taxes went to the slaughter of fluffy bunnies?

And then someone said hey why not just put a check box on the tax form.

Its not that i dont want to pay for the slaughter of fluffy bunnies im morally opposed to it.

• bryan
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No not a good idea the government should pay for it only in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in danger. With rape it should be standard procedure to offer the morning after pill to the victim of the most heinous crime

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If that little box appeared on that form, I would check it every time. I have made donations to Planned Parenthood and the Lilith fund plenty of times anyways. I guess you would prefer to pay for welfare and food stamps for people who shouldn't have kids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.