? asked in Consumer ElectronicsLand Phones · 1 decade ago

Phone line is being tapped. Who could it be and how can I stop it?

For the past few months, I have noticed that about 70% of my phone conversations are being tapped into. When I'm talking to the other person I can hear a receiver being picked up from an outside line and I can also hear my conversation becoming a lot louder/ hear myself speaking at the other end. Just the other day I was talking to a friend then heard someone tap into my line and cut off the bloody conversation! I'm getting so f*cking sick of this. I've discussed it with my parents who don't seem to bothered about/affected by it as they only use the phone for brief conversations. I know nothing about technology so would be grateful if someone could give me some information on phone tapping like: who's likely to be tapping in to my phone line? And how the hell are they doing it? Also, how do I approach the subject with BT and what can they do about it?

Thanks for any advice.

In response to those who think I'm some over paranoid criminal,I'm not! As I said, I know nothing about technology and I have every right to be dubious about people listening in on my conversations. I keep hearing someone picking up the receiver from an outside line however they do not put it down again. Now they've started cutting off my calls so I'm entitled to be annoyed at this invasion of my privacy.

One more detail, I live in a bit of a sh*tty area full of scummy people, hence me being very wary.

Favorite Answer

Don't assume your line is being tapped. However, If you are doing something that warrants the line to be tapped, then don't rule this out.

Here are several scenarios that could be the cause.

1. Your parents are picking up the line when you are using it, not aware of it being in use.

2. You may have a problem with your service. As a former telephone technician, I can say there are many times when lines get crossed, there is interference from a nearby radio or TV signal (the telephone line can act as an antenna), rodents chewing on the lines, or any other technical problem.

3. A neighbor may share the same phone service, and in some cases your telephone service company may have to service your line (See #2), either at your dwelling, or at the main switch to resolve the issue.

4. The "feds" in fact ARE tapping your line, and you should not talk about anything "shady" while on the phone.

Have a good day.

1

Source(s): Number Reverse Searches http://ReversePhoneNumberLookup.enle.info/?GPhR
  • favela

Tap Phone Line

Well, Most Likely A Stalker. Someone Probably Knows You And Can Tap Into Your Line To Do Whatever They Want. My Opinion Is To Not Use The Phone As Much If Not At All, Or Try Getting A New Phone And Only Tell The Number To Close Friends And Family. If It Still Happens After That, It May Be Someone You Know.

It's not MI5 - I lived in Northern Ireland and they tapped us all the time, it sounds different to that.

It's probably someone in the same house lifting the receiver - set a honey-trap such as chalk dust on the other phones and place a dummy call with your mobile to catch them out. If that fails, you may have an outside person tapping in from your neighbourhood. It's not likely, but is possible. Set a trap such as saying you're going to accept a dare to stand topless in front of your window for 60 seconds (you don't actually need to do it) - give the stalker a minute or two to get into position, and have a friend hiding and watching from your garden to see who comes out of their house to look, having tapped in and heard the tip off. I love it when a plan comes together!!! I assume you are a girl by the way - and that the tapper is a guy. Hmm. I'm sure you can arrange something.

You have told us very definitively that your phone line is tapped but all you have told us about how you know this is what most of us would refer to as the normal noise and issues one has with a telephone line.

Land line telephone are based upon **VERY** old technology. I'm talking about the basic technology being over 100 years old! I've never worked in the telephone field but I do know indirectly of all the issues telephone companies had when digital subscriber lines over the telephone wires were introduced a decade or two ago. Simple things like rain or dampness, loose connections, corrosion, etc cause lots of problems.

Technology has progressed now to the point that *IF* someone wanted to tap your line or bug your conversations for some reason, they could do so with absolutely zero chance of you ever knowing about it. Zero. And I do work in the electronics field and have some knowledge of what I say.

I'm more interested in the question of WHY would you think someone would bother? It is usually only criminals or people with serious paranoia issues that would post such things.

• joe r

doubt you are being tapped... if it was the phedz you would not even know that it was being tapped, since it is all electronic... if it is an illegal tap, then the person is sloppy... sounds more like there are issues with your phone, or phone line causing the clicking and other noises that you are hearing...

and the phone company does not normally take these type of things seriously when someone comes straight out and says that there line is tapped, they may send someone out to check for bridge taps, or other issues on your line, but normally they think you are paranoid and kind of crazy... at least thats how everyone at the company that I work for feels about this one customer that calls about once a month about someone "tapping" her phone line...

This is the best option to get a background check https://tr.im/Ghwf5

Currently there are a lot of reasons to perform a criminal background check in today's community. These arguments vary from questions over a spouse's fidelity to misgivings regarding a recently hired sitter. There are several surprising figures out now that strengthen these doubts, and in many instances it is better to be safe than sorry. You may not realize it, but there can be quite a lot of people checking up on you. Potential employers top the list. Companies usually conduct background checks on job applicants primarily as a means to verify the credentials that you may have listed on your resume.

It's highly illegal so BT will take it seriously. You should call BT from another phone and explain that your phone calls seem to be being monitored by someone else, and explain why you think so. They will check it out for you. Phone lines are tapped by straight wiring into your connection either in your home or outside. Proffessionals could even hack into the ditribution box in the street.

The type of people who hack are Jealous lovers, insurance companies, police, private investigators, family members. If it's an authority hacking your phone line BT is unlikely to tell you, but you'll know if you report it because they will either clear it up or not!

Discover the best site Reverse Phone Lookup ( http://reversephones.info ) Find out the owner of any cell phone or unlisted number. Results include name, address, carrier, and other details when available. Your search is confidential This free cell phone number tracer will give you owner information about a phone number for free. Search for a cell phone number today to begin your free trace! Reverse Phone Lookup area gives you additional access to millions of public records, including: -Unlimited reverse phone lookups (for landline and listed numbers) -Unlimited people search (for addresses, household members, and phone numbers) -Discounted criminal record searches and background reports -And more... Discover Right Now ( http://reversephones.info )