Small, Safe Cars? Is there such a thing as an SUV-proof little car?

In the next year, I'll get my degree, (hopefully) a kicking job, and my very first car that I'll spend over $2k on. I'm a small person, and it's just me. I sometimes have one other passenger, almost never more than that. If safety weren't an issue, I'd be delighted with a... show more In the next year, I'll get my degree, (hopefully) a kicking job, and my very first car that I'll spend over $2k on.

I'm a small person, and it's just me. I sometimes have one other passenger, almost never more than that. If safety weren't an issue, I'd be delighted with a two-seater.

I'd feel absolutely absurd and irresponsible driving something huge, but have you seen what negligent idiots are driving these days? Huge, deadly deathmobiles with a side of I-drive-while-texting DEATH.

Oops, my paranoia is showing.

Really, though, the utility-vehicles-that-shall-not-be-named tend to drive right up and over the safety features on smaller cars, crushing the unsuspecting environmentally responsible driver from above. So, um, how do I find myself a sensible car that will stand up to a redlight-running idiot with four tons of steel on his or her side? Or do I give up this silly notion and drive a minivan that seats myself and my six invisible friends because it's the safest thing on the market?

Actually, now that I think about it, are tanks street-legal? Can a civilian buy one?

I've only had my pelvis broken by one idiot driver, but given what I see on the roads, I'm optimistic that it's only a matter of time before someone else decides it's a good day to endanger innocent drivers in responsibly small cars.