Can I cancel my renter's insurance?

Hi, I'm considering obtaining renter's insurance from Progressive underwritten by Homesite. I'm a college student, so obviously I may be moving soon. Will be able to cancel my policy before a full year?

I live in Illinois

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course. Just give the agency a call and let them know you're cancelling it. If you are moving though, the renter's insurance can go with you - no point cancelling it if you will need it at the next place.

ps. If you pay the entire year in advance, and then you decide to cancel - you should be able to get back the unused premiums.

Source(s): Insurance industry, personal experience
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Cancel Renters Insurance

• 3 years ago

Homesite Renters Insurance

• Roxie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avg4S

Only if you're trying to "backdate" the cancellation. If you want to make it effective two weeks ago, or older, they'll want proof that coverage was replaced. You can get around that, by cancelling today, but then you have to pay the cancellation fee and short rate penalty, if any.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, you can. But if your legal residence is your parent's, then you're automatically covered under their homeowners insurance, in most cases, while you are away at college.

• Joyce
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

like mbrcatz said... that is the only instance you would need to show proof of new policy... THE ONLY situation. There is no other reason for it so unless you are backdating the cancellation you dont have to show them anything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.